free website stats program Mexico Assemby | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mexico Assemby

1+ Davidw2415 regarding moving jobs from the US to Mexico. The key here is what makes sense finanacially verses what is right for a business to survive here in the US, doing with a bit less right now, but as the economy improves fold in more US workers back in to stimulate the economy LONG TERM.

Fossil has it right. Currently Harley Davidson motorcycles are being assembled at several locations in the U.S. as well as one foreign location in Brazil. I do not know the precise percentage of parts which are being outsourced currently but I would be surprized if it were any less than 65% or so. The lowest bidder gets the contract for parts and that is usually outside the U.S. due to our higher standard of living and labor rates. The MOCO board of directors has announced several months ago that they are currently in the process of building an assembly plant in India. The parts will be shipped into India and assembled by Indian workers in order to keep from paying a huge import tax on assembled Harleys being shipped into India. As far as I know the bikes assembled in India will be sold in that region. There are no immediate plans to export those cheaper made Hogs back to the U.S. market. Ultimately, you know all Harleys will be coming here from somewhere other than within our borders. The Japanese had a good relationship with the workers at the U.S. Goldwing plant. Suddenly last summer they announced they were shutting down U.S. production and producing them all back in Japan, due to labor costs. Harley is the last of the major motorcycle manufacturers to produce air cooled engines as well as the last one to continue to assemble in the U.S. That will change real soon.

Just wait boys and girls. We will all be part of the "North American Union soon". All us Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans, will be one big happy family.
Google it and start reading. Sounds stupid until you do a few days of reading on the subject.

Bodeen

My father in-law told me H-D is moving their assemby plant(s) to Mexico, components will still be made in the USA but assembeled in Mexico.

1 Is this true?

2 That will alot (EDIT) of people off including myself.

3 The big Hondas are assembled in the US.

4 What was HD thinking the mexican drug lords are murdering US citizens
and now they are going to assemble our bikes.

Man...how do some of you even think this stuff is for real? Harley moving their motorcycle plants to MX and then sending the production back to the US and Canada?? Your father in law is just yankin' your chain and it sounds like he's having fun. Also, Honda does not build bikes in US any longer. Honda quit making VTX's a few years ago and Goldwings went out of production in 2009, although they made a bunch they labeled as 2010 models before the doors closed. Rumor is they will start making Goldwings again in Japan sometime in 2011 and label them as '12's. Meanwhile bunches of '08, '09, and '10 Wings sit in warehouses unsold. You think Harley has problems?.....the Honda marketing folks in Tokyo are really sweating their North American situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Goldwing Interstates is that they look too massive with all of that covering. It's almost like the motorcycle isn't supposed to be seen, but only the plastic. When you follow one, you first wonder what you're looking at: Is it a scooter, a motorcycle...what? The technology is excellent, but with all of the electronics, I can imagine that future problem trouble shooting could be a real nightmare. My wife asked me once if I missed my Interstate? No I don't, because now I have a bike that actually sounds like what a motorcycle is supposed to sound like!

Sears tools are now made in Mexico! When will this stop?! Our politicians are idiots!

At one time they were made in Brazil, I had to laugh when exchanging a broken socket, I said I will wait and I work for them:p

Back