free website stats program Melted cam sensor,spark knock | Harley Davidson Forums

Melted cam sensor,spark knock

flatlanders

I apologize if I missed a post on this. This is my 1st Harley it is a 98 Softtail Heritage Classic. I just discovered my cam sensor has a large melted spot where the wires run in to the magnet. Will this or could this cause a spark knock. Bike just started running like you know what. Plugs are showing way too rich like out of time or weak spark. I changed them & the new ones carboned up rich almost immediately.

I apologize if I missed a post on this. This is my 1st Harley it is a 98 Softtail Heritage Classic. I just discovered my cam sensor has a large melted spot where the wires run in to the magnet. Will this or could this cause a spark knock. Bike just started running like you know what. Plugs are showing way too rich like out of time or weak spark. I changed them & the new ones carboned up rich almost immediately.

Was this Normal looking like this before? or did you just notice it?

Asking IF it looked like this before the problem? Is it a blob of melted or is it a sealer to cover it?

signed....BUBBIE

Will this or could this cause a spark knock.

Probably not. My guess would be your problem of spark knock has something to do with the VOE's switch.

Disconnect the VOE's switch connector and place an ohm meter across the terminals. The meter should read infinity. Using a Mity Vac hand pump apply a vacuum to the VOE's vacuum port. The meter should swing to switch closure when you apply 3.5 to 4.5 in/hg with the hand pump..

Can tell you why the new plugs foul, but a failing VOE's can cause spark knock.

The reason I even brought up the spark knock is I have had what I thought was a lifter noise but this noise would disappear when going up a hill or accelerating.The bike missed a couple times & backfired during the last ride. This was why I pulled the plugs & noticed how rich/black they were. The cam sensor is definitely melted as the metal plate shows heat spots.

The reason I even brought up the spark knock is I have had what I thought was a lifter noise but this noise would disappear when going up a hill or accelerating.The bike missed a couple times & backfired during the last ride. This was why I pulled the plugs & noticed how rich/black they were. The cam sensor is definitely melted as the metal plate shows heat spots.

Well, You know you need to replace it First and see IF that is the problem.. The rich fuel mix ?, I don't understand enough about the system there but Hoople's suggestion is where I' d start After the cam sensor is replaced..

You know not to cut and splice? The long wire needs to be off at the end where it plugs into ? and under seat?

I have CUT the wires at the nose cone and attached New ones from the mew sensor and it helped to Pull New Back thru the harness. Takes time but it worked for me..

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back