free website stats program maximum RPMs | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

maximum RPMs

Coming off of bikes that rev to 9 and 11 grand ,The first and only time i hit the limiter on my TG i thought i was floating the valves like the old V8's of yesteryear. Not a good feeling.:newsmile055:

What some guys don't seem to realize is that if you are looking to spin one of these motors up over 6K, it's best you get a bike that can do it without harming the engine like an import.
The newer bikes (96's) is a suicide run to spin them much over about 5K on a regular basis. You'll find it won't live very long if you do. These engines aren't much more than a tractor motor and you don't see any tractors turning 6K unless the farmer is in a hurry to plow the field .:laugh

Or trying to pull a 65,000 pound sled....:laugh

both my bikes have a tach. i do not take either of them over about 5200, and that is not very often. the 98 has a stage one with a gen 3.5 and the evo has a cam.

Given my experiance with a Dyna, their happy range is 3000 rpm wide. They are happy between 1000 and 4000 rpm. Engines are like wives, keep them happy if you want to have a good life. In the wind.

Pops

Back