free website stats program MAXI Fuse problem plus a no start probelm | Harley Davidson Forums

MAXI Fuse problem plus a no start probelm

Joe Marcella

I was wondering how many members here have bought a Harley and had no significant problems with it over the years.

I'm not talking a loose bolt or something but more like a problem that they had to return to the dealer with to have a warranty fix done.

Hello my name is Joe I have a 2006 FLHT standard , I went out for a ride and the bike died no power had it towed back to garage disconnected the battery charged it still no power check the fuses in maxi fuse somehow was rubbing against belt drive and blew the maxi fuse I replace the maxi fuse tried to start the bike it turned over but it was cold didn't start first try then the fuse blew I replace the fuse and when I went to tuck it back where it belongs and put it away the fuse blew again so I trace the wire to the starter and they seem to be all right and I checked all the wires underneath the bike they seem to be okay I'm not good with electrical just wondering if anybody had any ideas on what could be the problem I know this is an old post but any reply would be great thanks, Joe

Moved to a new thread - SledDog

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you were tucking it away the ignition was off so no power was running through the fuse?
Does it blow right away after you install it or when you try and start it?

If the power was on my guess is you have a short somewhere along the way and that's why the fuse is popping. JMHO.

Sometimes a short in the harness is hard to find.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for responding .
So when you were tucking it away the ignition was off so no power was running through the fuse?
If the power was on my guess is you have a short somewhere along the way and that's why the fuse is popping. JMHO.

Sometimes a short in the harness is hard to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff is right; there is a short in a wire connecting to the MCB; the ACCY is often the offender. Did you do any work on the bike before the first fuse blew? If so, that would be the place to start by checking the appropriate wiring that could have been damaged while doing the work. If new work has not been done, the OP needs to get out the service manual wiring diagram and start checking for continuity of the wires that could be causing the problem. Problem like this should remind us all of the value of having the HD service manual in the tool box.:rolleyes:

Thanks for responding to my post . I brought it to the shop did all I could do. You are right EVERY TOOL BOX NEEDS A SERVICE MANUAL .

Probably too late to help,but:
When your fuse blew you could have taken an OHM meter ( with a Digit readout OR a buzzer) and measured between the DEAD side ( the LOAD side) of the fuse and the frame.
Depending on the reading you get,- open circuit or closed circuit- that will tell you yes, you DO have a short in the wiring. From that point on.
It would seem to me that if your Main fuse is blowing before you even turn the Ignition on and energise any circuit on the bike, then you’ve got that short somewhere along your active wire.
If it stays intact until after you turn the key on, then check from your ignition switch, your kill switch and other wires . You’ll need a schematic to follow any 12 volt power wire.
The main thing is if you get continuity from any active/power wire to earth or the frame, then that wire is shorted.

Probably too late to help,but:
When your fuse blew you could have taken an OHM meter ( with a Digit readout OR a buzzer) and measured between the DEAD side ( the LOAD side) of the fuse and the frame.
Depending on the reading you get,- open circuit or closed circuit- that will tell you yes, you DO have a short in the wiring. From that point on.
It would seem to me that if your Main fuse is blowing before you even turn the Ignition on and energise any circuit on the bike, then you’ve got that short somewhere along your active wire.
If it stays intact until after you turn the key on, then check from your ignition switch, your kill switch and other wires . You’ll need a schematic to follow any 12 volt power wire.
The main thing is if you get continuity from any active/power wire to earth or the frame, then that wire is shorted.
THANKS TO EVERONE THAT HELPED ME OUT IT WAS THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR IT'S BEING CHANGED MOW AND I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW THIS TURN'S OUT THANKS AGAIN , JOE

Back