free website stats program making a sportster more comfortable | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

making a sportster more comfortable

The best comfort mod. is to mount a good woman on the back. Great lumbar support.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Doc started off right...the Sporty is "rougher" because it is lighter in weight and the center of gravity are balanced but higher for better ground clearance with suspension to enhance "sprited" riding. I chose the 2004 (and up) model which rubber mounted the engine, keeping the vibes down, I lowered it to scale back the height with Progressive springs and shocks and all was right with the ride...! Then I started to add bags and other "necessities" to fit my riding style and smooth things up (grips, forward controls, larger tank and then things went crazy). BUT I am happy...
http://www.hdtimeline.com/members/n...picture2567-2004_sportster_xl1200r_9_9_09.jpg

I did! I had a '48 and traded up to a FLHX....been having that one since '10....as of 2 months ago, I bought a 'new' 48. Gotta tell ya, in those few yrs, the new 48s are a much needed improvement over the earlier ones... i.e. the vibration issue...simply is not there anymore....yet the range is the same...a/b 50mi/gallon ~ driving conservatively ~

was curious what sportster owners have done to their bikes to make them more comfortable rides? Other than swapping the seat (mustangs seem to be a popular choice), any other reasonably easy mods for instilling a smoother ride?

I swapped stock seat with a Mustang Regal Touring seat and installed hiway pegs bolted to the front frame which are adjustable and also swapped grips with some ISOs and i rode 5300 kms in 10 days at 8 hours per day minimum and wasn't any worse for wear than anybody else on their big baggers. I have three different seating positions i caqn use with mid, front and rear pegs at any time, or a combitnation of the three, which i do on occassion. It made a world of difference.......for me anyways. Also if u r a shorter than average rider a seat of 4 1/2 inch pullback risers will bring bars that much closer with no need to change any cables or wiring. I am 5'6" and i could use the risers, but it is not too uncomfortable to demand the change. Just my experience.

I know the Op went ahead and got themselves a Dyna which is an excellent choice.

As for the Sporty, it really comes down to expectations. For hopping around town, short trips on country roads for ice cream, it's really a nice machine to play with. I do have a gel pad with the factory seat and can play for most of the day. The peanut tank allows me to stretch my legs during a fuel stop. As the rest mentioned, placement of foot controls and bars can make a huge difference too.

If you wanna ride with your friends on the interstate for the weekend or day trips on a solid mount Sporty, you may find yourself a bit fatigued. Windshield helps but, the only time I ever use one is during the cooler temps.

Back