free website stats program Maintenance Training | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Maintenance Training

Fisher, people who bring their bikes to you are lucky. They have a trusted person to handle their needs well. I am going to say most of us are not as lucky and therefore, we need to learn how to maintain our bikes properly.

Thanks but I wasn't fishing :D for compliments.I may have over reacted a bit but it's just a pet peeve of mine.It does take a bit of searching to find a good mechanic/tech.But to say we all are clueless is just unfair.I gotta go to work see ya later.

Thanks but I wasn't fishing :D for compliments.I may have over reacted a bit but it's just a pet peeve of mine.It does take a bit of searching to find a good mechanic/tech.But to say we all are clueless is just unfair.I gotta go to work see ya later.
Hey Fisher, I definitely believe in good mechanics, it's just hard to find one. I have to thank my dad & brother for giving me minimum knowledge about how to maintain my vehicles, and for big brother being my cheif mechanic for years. I honestly cannot trust some (please forgive me for this, no disrespect to you) 'Joe Blow' mechanic. I have had experiences where I would take my truck (I know, they are different from bikes) but I would go in and ask about getting something done, and get "you need to do this, this is bad, and you need blinker fluid". My brother would call about the same thing, ironically for my vehicle, and get a reasonable price. I'm sure you know what I mean here.

So far with the motorcycle learning experience, I was searching for the Spectro, and I went to a shop close to home and asked if they carried the Spectro Platinum GL1 transmission fluid. He promptly took me over and tried to sell me Spectro motor oil. I told him I needed the gear oil, and he looks at me and says 'you mean you want oil for where the gears are actually engaging?'. I just looked at him and said 'I think the transmission has something to do with that' and walked out. Maybe it was because I had a pony tail, I don't know. :D

But, I am visiting and talking with some local dealers and some local small shops and talking with them and their customers in my effort to find a local shop to do the projects that are beyond my capabilities, which are many I may add.

All in all, between you, Glider, and many other fine folks on this forum I have learned so much in the last 4 months, from the little things that make me say 'oh, I never even thought of that' to the fact that I never realized 'how' I rode the bike, when I shifted and the list goes on. I too, am one of those who wish you guys were the neighbor close by.

I appreciate every bit of knowledge I gain here, so please, keep up the good work. I don't think the good mechanics out there will have to worry so much about most of the do it yourselfers. When I find one I trust, I will patronize them loyally.

Joy

In quite a few cases where you mentioned above about the transmission oil, I think you'll find more that when you get a reply like that, the person selling the product really doesn't know what they are doing and will try to push it off on you as not knowing. Once you mentioned the brand and type by name specifically , if they knew what they were doing, you should have gotten a reply like "we don't carry that but I can get it for you" and not offer you motor oil.:s

Keep on keeping on with what you are doing, you are doing a fine job!

Funny, I kind of thought the same thing! I just know where I won't take my business. LOL

Back