free website stats program Made in China ? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Made in China ?

Sorry if I repeated your point of view. But you did raise some valid points.

Also, I am noticing a change of perception in myself. I used to bristle at the lack of American products. Now, let's say I need a specific screwdriver I do not have. I truck down to Sears, find the tool, notice it's made in China and simply tell myself, "Well, I don't use it that much, anyway."

I'm getting cavalier in my attitude. Instead of mentioning my concern to the staff, or driving to three other places, I just buy the stupid screwdriver and keep mum.

And in my search for products for clients, I do have folks that insist on "Made in USA. The research is getting more difficult.

Sorry if I repeated your point of view. But you did raise some valid points.

Also, I am noticing a change of perception in myself. I used to bristle at the lack of American products. Now, let's say I need a specific screwdriver I do not have. I truck down to Sears, find the tool, notice it's made in China and simply tell myself, "Well, I don't use it that much, anyway."

I'm getting cavalier in my attitude. Instead of mentioning my concern to the staff, or driving to three other places, I just buy the stupid screwdriver and keep mum.

And in my search for products for clients, I do have folks that insist on "Made in USA. The research is getting more difficult.

No need to be sorry, I enjoy the exchange. I am guilty as anyone of not back reading long threads to get everything that has been covered. As far as demanding USA stuff, yea you're right, it has become an illusive dream in the minds of mother earth news types as far as any real consistency on all products. A noble cause swept under the rug by all of our greed and the inevidable competition with other hungry nations.

There is only one constant on this planet, and it is change. Only time will tell the outcome, since the situation has had more than it's share of time allotted already, and it has shown it's direction long ago.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, was schooled in America before he returned to Japan to design the attack on Pearl Harbor. Though he served in a ruthless regime, he was a brilliant military commander. After the huge success of the Pearl Harbor attack, his fellow officers were rejoicing and one asked Yamamoto why he acted somewhat subdued?

He replied, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

He said that becuase he had seen America's industrial might and knew they could rebuild that same Navy that had just been destroyed. But bad judgements, greed from ALL parties and the criminal debt element has taken our industrial might elsewhere. That sleeping Giant that awakened during WWII with all it's majestic valor, has over the decades become fat, lazy, many unwilling to put forth a good work ethic, and in many cases become immorally criminal in business, and just plain drunk with the wine of the world.

We shall see the outcome, whether the giant rises up from the dead dinsoaur that it is currently, to the majestic Giant it once was. Can the body become responsible enough to force the head to wake up or is it too late and we are already on the death bed, seemingly unaware of the cancer working just out of sight. (oh and just in case I'm not clear, I'm not JUST talking here about buying American, that's only part of the problem.)

As I have often stated, my "adult job" was working in finance trying to save companies on the brink of bankruptcy. Most people wait too long until taking any kind of action. Some want to do nothing, believe it or not. I fear this is happening to us as a country.

For example, most people do not know that when they take out a mortgage, the actual contract might not reside forever at their bank. Just like a company's accounts receivable, uncollected debt has value. Many times the bank sells a mortgage to another bank, called "selling the paper."

I've been out of the game for a decade, but last time I checked, five of the biggest paper holding banks were in England. A few years back, one of them went under. While it seemed a far off and minor concern to most Americans, I told my wife this was the starting gun to some serious financial troubles.

Somebody had to buy the paper as the bank needed funds, or simply to honor their own commitments. The only place that had enough funds to underwrite leveraging a debt that huge was China.

My wife and I had re-financed our home about this time. It is very possible that my home is "owned" by China.

If these debts would not ripple throughout the lives of billions of people, easily causing starvation, wars and revolutions within countries, I would recommend that the USA default on any Chinese commitment. Hard call, being "us" or "them." And after this potential default, would that hurt us even more?

As I have often stated, my "adult job" was working in finance trying to save companies on the brink of bankruptcy. Most people wait too long until taking any kind of action. Some want to do nothing, believe it or not. I fear this is happening to us as a country.

For example, most people do not know that when they take out a mortgage, the actual contract might not reside forever at their bank. Just like a company's accounts receivable, uncollected debt has value. Many times the bank sells a mortgage to another bank, called "selling the paper."

I've been out of the game for a decade, but last time I checked, five of the biggest paper holding banks were in England. A few years back, one of them went under. While it seemed a far off and minor concern to most Americans, I told my wife this was the starting gun to some serious financial troubles.

Somebody had to buy the paper as the bank needed funds, or simply to honor their own commitments. The only place that had enough funds to underwrite leveraging a debt that huge was China.

My wife and I had re-financed our home about this time. It is very possible that my home is "owned" by China.

If these debts would not ripple throughout the lives of billions of people, easily causing starvation, wars and revolutions within countries, I would recommend that the USA default on any Chinese commitment. Hard call, being "us" or "them." And after this potential default, would that hurt us even more?

I can tell you are a man who is more aware of the whole truth than many. Be carefull not to get too close to ALL the truth or you may find it overwhelming. :lolrolling

But seriously, my wife and I have ALL of our stuff paid off. But the current cost of power bills, homeowners insurance, property taxes and rising inflation throws a whole new aspect on retirement. But I've had a good life, if I die tomorrow it will be a good run.

Have enjoyed exchanging with you, it's quit raining down here and my wife is telling me to get out there and start grilling some chicken, and alas with all the rain it's time to mow our acre again. Not to mention I need to finish up my current bike work.

One good thing about these forums, they do help folks exhange ideas and hopefully all become more aware of the realities. Or at least a step up from texting 'what cha doin' all day long on the cell phone.
Later.........Dave:cheers

It was a good chat. I'm going out to ride, myself.

From a distinguished credit mananger to a worthless patch holding biker.

Nothing up my sleeve...:D

Harley Davidson’s accessories Made in China??

Because I’m new to the Harley Davidson world I find myself taken back in puzzlement because of where Harley Davidson’s accessories are made.
I purchased a pair of HD boots about 7 years ago in a Western Apparel store in Atlanta. It turned out that the boots were made in China. I chocked it up to a boot leg (pun get it?:D) set of boot from china. Now-a-days, my normal go to place for riding gear is Aerostich and they make a lot of their product line in the USA. Anyway, I needed a new set of gloves and I wanted to support my dealer at the same time. I found a good set of gloves that I liked and looked at the label to find that they were “Made in China”. The same as it was with the boots 7 years ago. Hmm. Why is HD doing this? OK I know what you are going to say, “Keep the price low and Profit”. But why not give us a choice in the matter. I own a great deal of stuff made in the USA. Lately it’s been getting pretty hard to find anything, other than people, that are made in the USA anymore. I’d pay a little more for a QUALITY product “Made in the USA”.

Last edited:
Re: Harley Davidson’s accessories Made in China??

I think that we are paying a premium price for the things made in China so I don't think that we should have to pay more for North American made products. I am sure that the profits on China made is more then 300 percent. I have complained before about receiving the weekly sale flyers and see many things that are 75 percent off. Do you believe that these are all really loss leaders or do you think that their profits are so high that even with 75 percent off they still break even. Manufacturers got greedy and went off shore to increase their profits. They didn't reduce prices. Dollar stores are an example, why should I go to Walmart to buy something that came on the same boat as a product sold at a Dollar store. The products are both Chineese.
Ken

“Keep the price low and Profit”.

The products being sold at the HD dealers are highly inflated just because of the HD logo. Don't buy them when they first come to the market. Wait until the next line comes out and you will get them at 1/2 price or less and the MoCo is still making a profit!!

Its sad that there is a premium price representing a high line motorcycle and products made in China. When I worked at Harley dealer the parts dept was always removing Made In China stickers from the parts boxes.....

Back