free website stats program Lurching When Starting With Clutch Pulled in | Harley Davidson Forums

Lurching When Starting With Clutch Pulled in

Tripp

Banned
I've got a 2007 Softail Standard and it will literally lurch forward when I try and start it with clutch pulled in... This can't be normal so does anyone know wth is going on with it? And, it will not roll free while the clutch is pulled in either... It's been in storage for only a few weeks but its been really cold in my area since.! Could that have anything to do with it? Also, I had this bike delivered from Chippewa falls Wisconsin to Southwest VA, and of course, the battery was dead on arrival due to the long cold ride on the back of an open delivery truck so the dude jumped it off with a quick start battery tender and it cranked right on up but without thought I jumped on it put it in gear and drove it around the storage units and then backed it in (In neutral...!) It went in gear like it was supposed to so I thought everything was good until today when I went to crank it up with the clutch pulled in and it literally lurched forward and almost out of the storage unit as if the clutch wasn't pulled in.! Thankfully it didn't fully crank due to a weak battery or otherwise I would have crashed it into the side of my truck.! Any thoughts as to what's going on please chime in...

Obviously the clutch is dragging. Not fully disengaging. You need to check the primary fluid, maybe change it, and adjust the clutch then see what happens.

Thanks man... As soon as it warms up that will be the first thing I'll do.! My thoughts as well about the clutch not fully disengaging... The service guy at the dealership tried to tell me that it was normal for Harleys to do that and its not recommended to crank them while in gear but I know better.!

Could be just old and low on the fluid. When they sit in the cold the clutch plates become stuck together. You'll read a lot of guys will back their bikes out of their garages with the clutch lever pulled in. That helps separate the plates and spread a little fluid around. Sometimes lessening that 1st gear clunk Harleys are known for. A tip for you would be to keep your thumb ready to hit that kill switch.

Oh yes ill have the thumb on the kill switch ready lol...! I have to say that did take me by surprise when it lurched out like that.! Never had that to happen to me on any of the bikes I've owned but they was Honda's and this is my first Harley..
Any recommendations on what brand of primary to use?

I once saw a guy start his Sportster in gear in a gas station standing beside it. It spun 2 full circles with him holding on from the side trying to hit the kill switch. Funny stuff....to those watching! As for which primary fluid is best, that's a giant can of worms. Every newbie asks that and every forum out there has tons of threads on it. I personally use HD Primary. But I have used Syn 3, Redline, Belray and Tranny fluid. I'd suggest doing some reading. There's a thousand opinions on it. And I guarantee you'll get "not another one!" if you ask. LOL!

Gotcha lol... I may use AMSOIL i hear its good too idk but ill update this thread as soon as this weather warm up enough to do anything... Man I really appreciate the advice it means a lot.!

Welcome to the forum from gulf coast AL. As mentioned check the fluid and adjustment, the clutch adjustment must be made cold.

Back