free website stats program lowering Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering Ultra

shovelheadkid

Would lowering an 11 Ultra with the forks and rear shock kits from HD make it much stiffer? How much change in seat height can i expect with this combination

Last edited by a moderator:
You may see an inch difference in the seat height but the clearance as well as the ride will suffer.

For the amount of money to be spent modifying suspension to lower, why not try to get a pair of logger boots with a 3" heel and a 2" sole if short inseam is the reason. If lowering for looks Glider has you covered.

If you are lowering for stability and comfort reaching the ground, also look into the HD Reach seat. Lowers the rider and moves forward about 1 - 1 1/2". I did the front and reach HD kits AND the Reach seat. Has made a BIG difference in the perceived stability of the bike, and comfort reaching the ground. BTW - I am 5'-6" with 30" inseam.

TQ

I have lowered 2 baggers, Never again, the ride does suffer:s

I'm not arguing with those who say the ride suffers if you lower the bike but can you explain if you lower an ultra using the HD kits doesn't that make it in essence a street glide? If so is a glide a poor performing bike? What is it exactly that suffers?
WAP.gif

I'm not arguing with those who say the ride suffers if you lower the bike but can you explain if you lower an ultra using the HD kits doesn't that make it in essence a street glide? If so is a glide a poor performing bike? What is it exactly that suffers?
WAP.gif

When loosing a inch of suspension travel, the springs need to be stiffer to support the 800+ pound of motorcycle. You are correct that it kind of turns into a Street Glide, but with additional 100 pounds. The negative would be that the stiffer springs and additional weight the Ultra ride would be stiffer. On the Street glide the rougher ride would not be as noticeable due to the lesser weight.

OK that makes sense. I lowered mine now am thinking of having my seat modified by mean city cycles instead and putting the original suspension back on. Haven't quite made up my mind because I think it rides pretty well although as it is my first ultra I don't have a baseline of experience to draw on. I'm just a vertically challenged guy who loves his ultra and will do anything to keep it upright with my feet flat on the ground!
WAP.gif

WAP.gif

Suspension travel is compromised, putting more stress on the springs, it changes the cornering also kind of gives a pogo feel

Back