free website stats program low oil pressure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

low oil pressure

Thanks guys. BUBBIE you have been with me from the start of this build. I did not have a pressure gauge before the upgrade. Always relied on the dash light.I spent the extra $$$$ for the Arlin Ness gauge thinking it was the best for the money. The oil pressure is 40psi t0 50psi when cold. Thought I would be in better shape with the high flow pump and the Baisley spring. Am I expecting too much?

NO you are right there! good pressure!

Just wanted to know what the pressure was COLD on idle? with the new system...
You only mentioned the idle pressure when you were hot...
COLD= ? on idle

signed....BUBBIE

NO you are right there! good pressure!

Just wanted to know what the pressure was COLD on idle? with the new system...
You only mentioned the idle pressure when you were hot...
COLD= ? on idle

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie is right in asking what your pressure is cold and hot, if you have an idiot light and gauge you cant go wrong, tho I would still check hot with a master gauge just for peace of mind

Hoople, your point about testing is well taken, and good advice. My point is this, there is a reason HD and other manufacturers install "idiot" lights on their oil systems, these are designed to "turn off" when there is oil pressure. While I have no way of actually knowing what the oil pressue is in XXSpark's ride, I would bet it's not "0". The gauge is probably not able to "read" pressure that low. But , again, your point about testing would remove all doubts....

This sounds like it has more to do with the calibration of the gauge you purchased.
After all the OP will always drop way back at idle. It also sounds like you have done a few miles now since the build. Based on that if there was a major problem you would have heard the gremlins trying to knock there way out by now.

Hoople, your point about testing is well taken, and good advice. My point is this, there is a reason HD and other manufacturers install "idiot" lights on their oil systems, these are designed to "turn off" when there is oil pressure. While I have no way of actually knowing what the oil pressue is in XXSpark's ride, I would bet it's not "0". The gauge is probably not able to "read" pressure that low. But , again, your point about testing would remove all doubts....

I agree. The OP does have oil pressure since the light is not glowing. Originally there was no way for me to know that the oil pressure gauge was stacked with an oil pressure light. It was not until entry point #6 of the thread when the OP mentioned he even had a light which is a very important point and should have been included in the original post. Our "point counter-point" was before entry point#6 and I did not even know he had a stacked red oil pressure light. I continued in the thread because the builder said there was no spec for pressure at idle. I can't let go when I hear statements like that.

No biggie...... it's all good. :p

I would also be concerned with using the castrol car engine oil. Mobil one VTwin should have more vescosity when hot , just a thought

Just a comment to keep things in perspective...old Harleys had roller bearings and did not rely on high oil pressure to maintain an oil film to keep things "afloat"...fast forward to "plain bearings" with oil grooves with high pressure tiny passages to allow oil to reach the farthest reaches of the engine, like top end and cam bearings...ZERO means no pressure...not good for extended low idle operation, especially on hot days where the oil runs very thin and clearances start to shrink and those normal pressurized bearings running with non existent oil...

Last edited:
Back