free website stats program low idle | Harley Davidson Forums

low idle

chase1

Long time reader, occasional poster thats me. I have a 2000 rd king fuel injected. Recently due to emissions testing I had to go to the dealer and have them do something to the scoot so I could pass. I was told that the computer was re set so it was stock. I am running a K and N air filter with a stock harley cover and screaming eagle slip ons. Since passing emissions it seems as though my idle gets very low after warm up to the point where it stops sometimes albeit it starts right back up. What should I check or worry about. By way the ambient riding temp where I live is 80 - 115 during the summer. Thanks in advance.

Are you running a fuel mgt. system, sert, power commander? If the dealer did a remap for the free flowing AC and exhaust and than set the map back to stock you could be running very lean and it will need to be reset for the AC and exhaust.

Long time reader, occasional poster thats me. I have a 2000 rd king fuel injected. Recently due to emissions testing I had to go to the dealer and have them do something to the scoot so I could pass. I was told that the computer was re set so it was stock. I am running a K and N air filter with a stock harley cover and screaming eagle slip ons. Since passing emissions it seems as though my idle gets very low after warm up to the point where it stops sometimes albeit it starts right back up. What should I check or worry about. By way the ambient riding temp where I live is 80 - 115 during the summer. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like they reflashed the ECU back to original specs to pass the Emissions testing. Don't know what State you are in, but is that required for your annual inspection?

This is probably the problem with the idling too. They MAY have fiddled with the idle, but it may just be that the engine is running SO lean it is trying to stall, particularly hot. This is NOT good.

If you are gonna have to go through this EVERY year for inspection purposes, I suggest considering the TFI. It is simple user installed plug and play, and allows you to add a bit of fuel under different conditions to reduce the very lean condition HD must get the bike to so that it meets EPA specs. That way, you can add fuel after the inspection so that the engine is running well, and then "turn off the TFI" when you are taking it over for inspection. Goofy, but that may be what you have to do in your State.

TQ

Back