free website stats program Loud "Clunk" when I fire up my Lowrider | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud "Clunk" when I fire up my Lowrider

I believe there is some kind of compression release install for this, to reduce wear and the noise at start up. This makes it eaiser on the starter and battery which helps increase life on those components.

You're thinking of the compression releases installed in the heads for large engines with higher than normal compression. There's no fix available for this problem mentioned above.

Heres a bulletin on it

How many miles are on your engine / drive train?

That bulletin applies to 07 models and mentions 06s. His scoot is an older Evo.

My 98 Evo 1340 doesn't make this sound, but it makes others I consider to be odd. I know the source of every odd noise and know the ramifications of ignoring them.

If I had a clunk like that goin on, I'd definitely pull the primary cover, drop the plug wires to keep the bike from starting) and hit the starter button to locate the source of that noise.

Things that come immediately to mind: Compensator sprocket, loose chain, starter issues. It would be a bad thing for any of these to get much worse and leave your stranded somewhere and damage your bike. A comp sprocket issue could take out your crankshaft, requiring a complete teardown and lots of cash to fix.

And of course, it could be nothing to worry about. :) But I'd sure want to know if it were my scoot.

Its an 07 and later issue. The MOCO didn't seem to do enough homework on the upgraded models for 07 now they are trying to deal (as cheaply as possible) with the issues that have arisen.The sound is the compensator .The new design is a bit of a noisy bugger. You can also produce the "clunk" if you goose the throttle in too high of a gear. The Moco is going to treat this issue the same as the IDS. The old "it's normal " thats money speak for tough luck jr we aint gonna do anything about it so go away and be quiet. I was at an open house yesterday and was talking to a guy who was looking for a used Road king. He didn't know if he was going to buy one or not. I gave him a heads up and advised him to stay away from any 07 model.

My bike is an 09 Low Rider. If something breaks they got to fix it for what is it 2 years I think.
JP

Back