free website stats program Loose exhaust nuts | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose exhaust nuts

Like Bubbie says, on the Sporty, it is the rear top and bottom flange nuts (have to remove the chome shroud to have enough room for thin walled socket to fit. Found nut from the top stud lying in the web of the casting below. Used lock washer and has never been a problem since. Do not use locktite and very light bit of oil to prevent binding. :s

Seems to be a on going problem lately. I have seen alot of these nuts falling off. Like NEWHDFAN I have already replaced my exhaust nuts with grade 5 nuts and lock washers before the stock ones get a chance to loosen up

I ben having same problems. Taled to a service writer, he told me to get the engine good and hot, and the nuts good and hot, then torque them down while hot I let ya know how it works for me.

This may sound weird to some but I use High Temp Never Seize and My bolts stay rock tight and never had a problem removing them either..

I think it's the "anti-seize" that got me into this problem. The nuts used to stay tight until I tried some anti-seize. Now it seems they are too greasy and slip off or loosen. I have since cleaned the bolts with a good parts washer fluid and replaced the nuts. I also found blue or red loctite (300 deg) created a greasy thread and didn't hold well. Maybe the high heat will hold. I am inclined to go with a jam nut or double nut.

Thanks for all the input.

cdn-bigfoot;242190 I also found blue or red loctite (300 deg) created a greasy thread and didn't hold well. Maybe the high heat will hold. I am inclined to go with a jam nut or double nut. Thanks for all the input.[/QUOTE said:
IF YOU HAVE EVER TWISTED OFF A EXHAUST BOLT YOU WOULD BE HAPPY WHEN THE NUT USED TO ONLY COME LOOSE!!!

GOOD IDEA TO DOUBLE-NUT-**** JAMB NUT like you are inclined

signed....BUBBIE

Having previously had to drill and tap the head after an exhaust stud has snapped due to too much force trying to loosen off a rusted nut i apply copper grease to the threads and double nut the studs locking the 2 nuts together
and i use stainless nuts

Brian

I have busted an exhaust bolt off in the head before. Drilled and backed it out. Not fun. That is why I used the anti-seize. Which caused my current dilema.
heh. no winning for losing.:newsmile040:

I will keep anti-seize on the threads and double nut.

Thanks for the advice.

I usually go back and re-tighten everything after about 25 miles when playing around the exhaust. As stated earlier, the moving, heating, cooling of the exhaust makes things change and re-checking a few times, at least for me, has kept things good. Now I don't have to re-check unless I've gone back in there for some reason.---jack

Back