free website stats program Locked up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Locked up

Boy talk about highjacking a thread LOL the only thing not locked up are all the good feeling pouring out from awesome members I guess!
WAP.gif

Yes I guess I started that High-Jack...
But you gotta remember,,,, WE Work for FREE and that is the price I charge for some of my answers... Hope you can Bear with Me..

I'll not change.... Too Many years at it..... Haw ha :newsmile075:

signed....BUBBIE

Would it be smart to spray a little WD-40 in the locks as a preventative measure?

Indeed it would be but honestly there are a lot of premium sprays out there WD40 is at the bottom of my list.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WD-40 really isn't a penetrating oil. It just happens to work sometimes. It is really a Water Dispersant on the 40th try.. Hence WD-40. It does displace water. Not even that good of a lubricant.
I like Jigaloob, Fluid Film, Pb blaster, anything but WD 40 It is mostly varsol or Kerosene and some mineral oil in a spray can

Last edited by a moderator:
WD-40 really isn't a penetrating oil. It just happens to work sometimes. It is really a Water Dispersant on the 40th try.. Hence WD-40. It does displace water. Not even that good of a lubricant.
I like Jigaloob, Fluid Film, Pb blaster, anything but WD 40 It is mostly varsol or Kerosene and some mineral oil in a spray can

SMELLS a little FISHY to me.... Fish oil is in it...... That is why you spray your Bait with it..

signed....BUBBIE

Formulation

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits – primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

* 60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
* 1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3] However, the WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product [4]

Wow, the things that can be learned from you guys!

Not to argue or even dispute the facts, but, assuming that the locks become stuck due to water and or moisture entering the lock, wouldn't WD-40 (water dispersant) be the perfect choice as a preventative to it "locking up"?

Wow, the things that can be learned from you guys!

Not to argue or even dispute the facts, but, assuming that the locks become stuck due to water and or moisture entering the lock, wouldn't WD-40 (water dispersant) be the perfect choice as a preventative to it "locking up"?

Yes and no I would use WD, then spray in a better lubricant

Do You have another key that can get Mixed Up (two different bikes?)

Has happened to me so I sold the Miss-Matched bike for a new bike so that the keys were Different,,,,,,,

Bubbie, this is a great answer. I am going to see if I can fly it by the wife. Getting those keys mixed is such a hassle. A new bike must be the solution!!!
:tounge

Back