free website stats program Lock tite | Harley Davidson Forums

Lock tite

Greggle

Happy New year to all. Quick question. I just put new springs in my front forks on an 03 Heritage. My question is as I took things apart, I noticed there was no lock-tite on any of the bolts on the fork, fender, front end parts or wheel axle. Should I put blue lock-tite on the bolts as I reinstall everything. Makes sense to me but I'm not sure if its a good thing. Thanks.

Won't hurt any to use the blue loctite. Clean the threads on the bolts and tap the mounting threads and blow clear.
kemo

Blue loctite is fine for use on most fasteners as a precaution to prevent inadvertent loosening...but do not use Red loctite unless you intend never to remove the part or have the ability to use fair amount of heat to remove fastener later.

Rebuilt my front end with chrome sliders. Used blue and torqued properly everywhere. I don't want anything coming loose as I go down the road.

Loctite goes a long way. You don't have to coat all of the threads, a drop or two a few threads from the starting end will do. Makes life easier on the next guy too.

Someone told me to put blue on all bolts and red on the two pinch bolts that hold the front fork tubes in place. He said that he has seen those two pinch bolts loosen up. Not sure if red is good for that but was gonna put blue on everything. Thanks for the replies.

Someone told me to put blue on all bolts and red on the two pinch bolts that hold the front fork tubes in place. He said that he has seen those two pinch bolts loosen up. Not sure if red is good for that but was gonna put blue on everything. Thanks for the replies.

just use blue. if worried about pinch bolts try new lockwashers

I agree with Jim also,dont use the red, blues fine I used red once on the shifter foot peg, later i had to remove it, only way to get it loose was to heat it by torch cherry red or about 600 degrees, needless to say I had to buy a new foot peg.

Blue loc-tite is a must, red is usually used for thing that you don't take apart, also you will need the aid of heat. Every bolt on my bike gets loc-tite and torque. Proper tightening of bolts is a must for me.

Back