free website stats program Little Pull, Springer Soft-tail | Harley Davidson Forums

Little Pull, Springer Soft-tail

revy_ajax

I am an amatuer mechanic doing most of the work on my Lotus Super Seven.....but I have little knowledge of bikes. My son just bought a 1995 Springer Soft-tail....He tipped it the other day.....he replaced a few broken parts,,,, and since he is a big man.... needed to raise the suspension..... Yesterday he was taking it out on the road for the first time. He got halfway down the drive and the bike had mayber 5% or 10% pull...... the engine is running fine, clutches well and apparently goes in gear fine....but will not pull up the slightess hill. Any idea what this is.... would the suspension change have done something to the drivetrain/belts.... tensioning.... any thing along that line...... any assistance greatly appreciated..
Thanks
c

Suspension changes shouldn't effect the drive of the bike unless like you see on cars where they are raised or lowered a big amount.

Can you expand on the problem a bit like does the engine race but the bike not move or drive or does the engine not accelerate? Clutch slipping?

The engine throttles up and down fine....not racing or anything strange there,,,,,but I would suppose the clutch could be slipping......I keep thinking he would have difficulty getting the thing in gear and shifting, but that is not necessarily the problem.......but slipping when in gear and not fully engaging......that makes sense.....
Thanks
c

I would say it's the clutch slipping. The suspension change doesn't sound like the culprit, or you would have felt the belt slipping if it was loose.

He didn't change the primary oil and put in an energy conserving oil in it. That would surely cause slipping because of the additives.

The clutch was slipping........my son was a little rough on it and it went out of sync......we did the adjustment per your advice...... works fine now......Thanks
The next project.......tuning the Carb........I got it running smoother....... but will not hold idle at intersection, stops, etc.

Back