free website stats program Liquid cooled HD. Maybe not too far off. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Liquid cooled HD. Maybe not too far off.

Although it would add a few maint. needs cooler engine temp would sustain greater horse power correct?

There are not air cooled motorcycles and water cooled motorcycles. They are all air cooled. If you take a Harley and let it idle for 3 hours what will happen? Nothing good. If you take a V Rod and disable the water pump or cover the radiator what will happen after you let it idle for 3 hours? Nothing good. You need air to cool both engines. The air cooled will overheat more easily than the water cooled because of the fan on the radiator not because of the water. Water cooling makes for a more stable engine for performance and emissions. I give the MoCo the credit to handle this change to water cooling in a manner which will help them accomplish their goals and let us have the design and styling that we desire. I fully expect my next Harley to be water cooled and as great as all the bikes we all now own.

If you think for a minute that heat is only an issue with Harley Davidson, think again. With a little investigation, I believe you will find the owners of many other brands complaining of heat issues also.
Really, it all comes down to numbers
More cubes = more heat
More HP = more heat
More fuel = more heat
Lean AFR numbers = more heat
More Exhaust restriction = more heat
So....as everyones numbers have gone up over the years, so have the temperatures.
Really, how comfortable do you think you would be sitting on top of the engine of a Honda Civic!!.....or your own car for that matter.
Now, how about sitting over an old 60 HP flathead Ford??......
Without hesitation, I will chose the old ford, and be much cooler.

If you think for a minute that heat is only an issue with Harley Davidson, think again. With a little investigation, I believe you will find the owners of many other brands complaining of heat issues also.
Really, it all comes down to numbers
More cubes = more heat
More HP = more heat
More fuel = more heat
Lean AFR numbers = more heat
More Exhaust restriction = more heat
So....as everyones numbers have gone up over the years, so have the temperatures.
Really, how comfortable do you think you would be sitting on top of the engine of a Honda Civic!!.....or your own car for that matter.
Now, how about sitting over an old 60 HP flathead Ford??......
Without hesitation, I will chose the old ford, and be much cooler.

That flathead ford will still get very hot, it would burn you just as bad as your harley engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
There are creative individuals creating V-rod baggers and they look nice.
Here's one made to look like a Road-glide.

They are nice, but cost 7K to make.

So, what you are saying is that they cost about the same amount as an Road Glide.

Back