free website stats program limp mode | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

limp mode

I got ya. I've seen that video. It fixes evrything. But I seriously would like to know how to fix this throttle problem. I don't like the idea of losing power.

You may want to cosider filing an incedent report with Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to ensure that H-D gets the message.

I have run into this problem a few times. Harley knows about this problem and has sent out a service bulletin #tt418-1. Google this bulletin and you'll see the problem. It is caused by a fretting of the pins in one of the connectors caused by vibration. This is a poor design and Harley needs to fix it on a recall.

I turned this over to the NHTSA as a hazard. I think you guys should do the same. The more people that complain about it, the better our chances of getting it fixed as a recall. Go to the NHTSA website and fill in their form.

Imagine trying to shoot across 4 lanes of traffic and the bike goes into limp mode. I wouldn't doubt that people have been killed by this. I was just out in the middle of nowhere when this shut down on me. I ran it all the way to 6th gear and was able to hit 45 mph. After 10 miles I parked and restarted and it ran fine until I stopped for gas. I couldn't get rid of it after that. I then loosened the gas cap and started it and it started fine. Then I tightened the cap and rode home. It's the pins in the connector by the air breather.

My 09 electra glide did the same thing while riding. I was slowing down to make a turn. Rode it back home like that since I was only 2 miles from home. Hauled it to dealer, thay found a problem with the tach. Replaced tach and has been fine since. It was still in warranty so I didn't even mess with the codes, just took it there.

I recently bought a 2009 FLHTC and after reading this post was just wondering how pervasive this defect is? I haven't taken off on any trips as of yet due to a funky hip that needs repair but, would like to know ahead of time if it's going to be something to watch out for? Especially an incident of unintended acceleration at an inopportune moment.

Gimme3steps

Back