free website stats program light problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

light problem

Am I the only one reading where he said the problem is the turn signal activates all on its own? This doesn't sound like a ground or bulb connection to me. This is the first kind of thing to check when stuff that normally requires deliberate rider action suddenly doesn't.

y.

But if that is the case why are not BOTH bulbs "flutters" on and off.

(The description of the problem was really not explained so you can get a good idea as to what is going on.)

Recently the right blinker flutters on and off, when the blinker is not activated. So the front right yellow light gets brighter off and on, and at the exact same time, the rear blinker goes on as well. Also, at the same exact time, the right turn signal indicator flickers. Often it won't do this until I rev the engine to about 2000rpm - so in a sense, it's intermittent.
Let's break that down.

1) the right blinker flutters on/off when blinker was not activated

2) rear light follows front

3) dash light follows too

4) is all initiated with vibrations ~2000 rpm

Items 1-3, taken as a whole, indicate complete short-term initialization of the turn signal for that side. Unless maybe it were a turn filament hanging and bumping the running filament up front, but then I'd think the signals would not work properly when manually activated. That never got stated, but I'd think it would have if the condition existed, so I'm assuming they do function normally otherwise.

Interesting. I read it a little different. I am not assuming the words Flicker/Flutter mean "Blinking"

"Recently the right blinker flutters on and off, when the blinker is not activated".
My question is why doesn't the rear lamp flutter along with the right front if it was the switch?

"So the front right gets brighter off and on at the same time, the rear blinker goes ON".
That is telling me the the right front is blinking and the right rear is on solid.

"Also at the same exact time the right turn signal indicator flickers"

"Flutters", "flickers" to me is not the same thing as "Blinking". I may be reading too deep into the problem. Maybe when he says Flickers/Flutter he really means "Blinking"

I actually have no clue what the problem is because I really don't understand the question to start with. I was going on maybe the blink (bulb) load for the flasher was not correct because a bulb was not making good contact. Therefore the flash rate went from Blinking to Flicker..???

Hi All,

I have a 2001 XL1200S. Recently the right blinker flutters on and off, when the blinker is not activated. So the front right yellow light gets brighter off and on, and at the exact same time, the rear blinker goes on as well. Also, at the same exact time, the right turn signal indicator flickers. Often it won't do this until I rev the engine to about 2000rpm - so in a sense, it's intermittent.

Thanks!

In a nut shell ---- your right side turn signal bulbs ( front & back ) and your indicator goes on and off at a 2,000 rpm "rev" correct ?!

Interesting. I read it a little different. I am not assuming the words Flicker/Flutter mean "Blinking"
"Flutters", "flickers" to me is not the same thing as "Blinking". I may be reading too deep into the problem. Maybe when he says Flickers/Flutter he really means "Blinking"
I didn't get "blinking" out of it, either. But when you first touch the button the lights all come on. If you touch the switch rapidly twice, the lights flash once and go back out. I can't do it rapidly enough to make them "flutter", but I'd bet a couple wires (or loose contacts in a switch) vibrating together/apart/together/apart/... could do what "needs" to get done.

I don't have a manual at the moment. I left my '07 book in the saddlebag along with a copy of the tune (and one of the original calibration) and the TTS unit when I traded for my '09 and haven't replaced it yet. Otherwise, I'd look to see which connector(s) could be disconnected to take the switch out of commission and try it that way as the simplest way to check the simplest things first. Assuming, of course, that they function normally otherwise.

Maybe we'll get some further clarification soon...

Guys

Why don't we wait until the OP comes back and explains this a bit better like he should have to eliminate all this rather than going at each other here.

Thanks

Who's going at each other? We're just having a little contest to see who might be right :)

Recall the mental image of Johnny Carson holding an envelop up to his head and giving the answer before opening it...

We will never find out. $10 says Allguitar gets fed up with the bike and trades it in for a Bright New 2010 !!:p

I bet its a bad bulb causing a feed back like a dead short change the bulbs

Back