free website stats program lifters | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

lifters

I agree on the Dremel tool, the metal is too thin to do much. I am still thinking, maybe something will light up. My new lifters got here so tomorrow will be day of truth.

Got the comp 850-1 lifters in and runs as quiet as I think you can expect a twin cam to run. Can't say if it was all the lifters for sure or not because I shimmed my oil pressure up at same time. Hit the pressure smack dab on the first try, probably is why my arm has been hurting, from pounding myself on the back. One thing, I can feel the push tubes bouncing around in the covers when it is running, probably wrong but I think that is just wrong. I have thought about putting a sleeve in the covers using something that can take hot oil. Just a thought, I know some more noise can be stopped. Anyhow, good enough for now. Thanks for the help guys, it was appreciated

inside with

Re: lifters CompCam lifters 875-1 or 850-1

Which one for this setup. '02FLHRSEI Factory-TC95, 16953-99A SE Heads at 73cc, Head Quarters HQ-0039G cam (.575" lift). 9.6:1 corrected compression. Stock lifters and SE adj. pushrods. As a preemptive measure, I installed B148 inners into the right side cases with only 4K on the clock. Then in '05', I had removed the chains at 21K and I never had a failure. 69K on the clock now and I picked up and intermittent noise on even light acceleration. I did strip the wind screen and Even though it is a right side noise, it reminds me of a loose compensator nut clicking under load, But I opened the primary and eliminated that. Exhaust covers the noise under moderate and heavy acceleration. So I am thinking bearing, possible lifter, I wont look above the heads till I see what's going on in the cam case. Changed the oil to find a rice grain sized, metallic trash on the magnet, the trash was bright and shiny and on top of the mud that is normally there between oil services', so I got to it quickly. I am going to open the cam chest and look. I will replace the inner cam bearings (at $6 apiece and only 15 minutes to replace, why not) and make a decision on the outers. The top has been really noisy for the last 10-12K, so I will replace the lifters first. My compression is 135/145, both jugs which sounds a bit low but, because they are very close together and consistent I will suspect the cheap gauge. The engine consumes about 4 ounces in my 2,500/3,000 oil change interval so I am not going to bother with a leak down test, (no smoke at all) I do a seafoam treatment every 10-15K...
Which lifter would you pick? Why?
I found a set of 850-4 for $51 does that equate to 4 each of the 850-1?
I also see that if they are labeled for Harely they cost$15, if listed for Chevy $12 for the same part number 850-1

Re: lifters CompCam lifters 875-1 or 850-1

SERoadking,
First suggestion would be to start a new post; this one has run its course; a new thread will get more looks.:D

First thoughts I have are that with 73cc chambers and 9.6 corrected CR and 135/145CCP, you have more serious problems than clicking lifters; I think it's time to freshen up the top end.

With that kind of compression, the lifters could very well be the problem but replacing them is a band aid approach. It just won't cost that much for a set of .010" over pistons and a bore job. I would be concerned with that piece of metal that if you don't address the core problem, bad juju is headed your way and the repairs will cost more than a top end job.:unsure

If you do decide to rebuild the top end, install compression releases if you don't have them along with a set of HQ Black Ops lifters. The CompCams lifters are not suited for that kind of compression. JMHO

I pulled the filter apart and found it carried more glitter than a cheap stripper. The engine will need an overhaul. I wish that now that I had not retired 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help

Back