free website stats program Lift for my FXDL | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Lift for my FXDL

I personally have the HF one. Although it gets the job done I really wish I would have spent some extra cash and gotten a better one. My biggest problem with the HF is how fast it drops. It feels like it slams the bike down every time. I always make sure I have somebody with me to steady the bike as it goes down the make sure it doesn't fall. If you want a lift you can reliably use by yourself I wouldn't recomend the HF one.

One thing to keep in mind and check before you buy a jack regardless of brand is that the cheaper jacks do not have grade 8 bolts. This could result in one breaking and having your bike drop to the ground.

Good point to be clear on all facets. But grade 8 bolts are very cheap to buy if that's all that's one was worried about. Besides the bike only weighs 600 to 900 lbs and the specs on regular grade 5 bolts are way enough to cover the shear pressure on the bolts. There is no tensile or extended moments to the scenario. It's all about whether the whether the bike's weight on the pad bracket sides can literally CUT the bolts into. Which I seriously doubt is going to happen the way the H.F. pads are mounted.

I personally have the HF one. Although it gets the job done I really wish I would have spent some extra cash and gotten a better one. My biggest problem with the HF is how fast it drops. It feels like it slams the bike down every time. I always make sure I have somebody with me to steady the bike as it goes down the make sure it doesn't fall. If you want a lift you can reliably use by yourself I wouldn't recomend the HF one.

Are you stomping the release all the way down ? That's what I've always done and my bike does not fall out of the sky like some say. It does come down quickly but it isn't anything alarming or out of control. I keep both hands on the bars and just let it down.

Anyhow not trying to push H.F. just trying to be clear. If I had more money to spend I prolly would have gotten the J&S err no that's not true I would have bought a full table lift for $420.

But the truth is my H.F. is not cheaply built, it's stout, it doesn't sway etc. It holds up my bike. My bike does not fall off it etc etc. I don't feel like I bought a 'poor jack for my nice bike'. To buy a poor product would be counter productive in any case. The fact is the H.F. does the job and does it well. If it didn't I would haul it to the scrap yard.

I think the J&S lift is a great lift, just could not justify my money for it. The OP has enough info here that he can buy the jack that makes HIM feel comfortable with his wallet and his jacking needs.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a new J&S when I thought to check want-ads for one. Guess what? Found a nice man who had a J&S for sale. Went to his place this morning and checked it out. Handed him the money! With the jack he gave me the GL adapter and the oil adapter. Saved a bunch of money too :) Learned first lesson before I even got it into the trunk.....gotta pump it up before the locks will disengage.

Dave,

Great find! There are not many people who will sell their J&S jack unless they have gotten rid of their bikes for good. Best of luck with it. I suspect you will be very pleased. I, too, learned the lesson of needing to pump up the jack 1-2 pumps before you can disengage the stops. Just mnakes sense once you think about it! :D

Dave,

Great find! There are not many people who will sell their J&S jack unless they have gotten rid of their bikes for good. Best of luck with it. I suspect you will be very pleased. I, too, learned the lesson of needing to pump up the jack 1-2 pumps before you can disengage the stops. Just mnakes sense once you think about it! :D

Thank you! U R right on the reason he was selling it.

The 'lesson' was one of those; "Fool me once, shame on you>>Fool me twice, shame on me"....experiences.

The Lifetime Warranty follows the jack, not the owner so that's a big plus. I called the manufacturer to ask about that. :)

Are you stomping the release all the way down ? That's what I've always done and my bike does not fall out of the sky like some say. It does come down quickly but it isn't anything alarming or out of control. I keep both hands on the bars and just let it down.

I read the owners manual that came with it and it said to stomp the pedal all the way down like you have said. I do it that way but haven't noticed much of a difference. The bike just goes down hard either way. I've always had somebody help me get the bike on and off the lift. Especially since I use the Dyna adapters which are kindof a pain to line up by yourself.

I have been using my J&S jack for my FXDL for about 1 year now...One of the best purchases I ever made. Like said before....I paid good bucks for my Harley and I wanted a good dependable lift for it. I have had no problems and the bike comes down as slow or as fast as you want it to. I am like you and have nobody to help me. When I am lowering the bike I make sure the kickstand is down and I start it down very slow and walk around to the kickstand side and hold on to the handle bars as it lowers all the way.

I have been using my J&S jack for my FXDL for about 1 year now...One of the best purchases I ever made. Like said before....I paid good bucks for my Harley and I wanted a good dependable lift for it. I have had no problems and the bike comes down as slow or as fast as you want it to. I am like you and have nobody to help me. When I am lowering the bike I make sure the kickstand is down and I start it down very slow and walk around to the kickstand side and hold on to the handle bars as it lowers all the way.

Thanks. Good tip about the kickstand! No 'how to use' manual came with the purchase, so I've watched the video often. It is still in the trunk until I find a strong back to help me get it loose. A little hazy on exact placement on frame rail tho.

Thank you! U R right on the reason he was selling it.

The 'lesson' was one of those; "Fool me once, shame on you>>Fool me twice, shame on me"....experiences.

The Lifetime Warranty follows the jack, not the owner so that's a big plus. I called the manufacturer to ask about that. :)

I have talked with Jim (the J of J&S) a few times when I first got my jack and had some newbie questions. He was always very helpful.

I live in the Boston area and this past Winter I stored my FXDL on the jack and covered it. Having the bike on the jack allowed me to easily move it around my garage in case I needed to get into the corner where the bike was stored and when I wanted to get the bike out to do some offseason mods. The bike move around freely and easily and there was no need to use tiedowns to keep the bike from falling off the jack.

Thanks. Good tip about the kickstand! No 'how to use' manual came with the purchase, so I've watched the video often. It is still in the trunk until I find a strong back to help me get it loose. A little hazy on exact placement on frame rail tho.

Once you get it out and slide it under your bike you will find the best position for it. If I am thinking right...the right side brace is just in front of the jiffy stand.

Back