free website stats program Let's see some data on batteries | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Let's see some data on batteries

TQ,
Any thoughts on the Power Source battery so far? I just discovered the battery in my '08 FLHTCU is 8.5 years old. I have only had the bike a year and just pulled it to find out how old it was and was shocked. I started looking for a battery and found the 600 cca PS battery also. It appealed to me because of the 103 jugs on my bike but it is hard to find anyone who has any experience with it.
The one comment I did find on another forum the guy said it really gave a good spin but he had not had it very long.

I will definitely be installing a new battery. I ride year round in the Dallas area and plug a Schumacher (Walmart) battery maintainer in when I dismount at home.

Interesting thread for I just had to get a battery Thursday. My O.E. 2008 battery gave up the ghost. I knew that I was not getting a battery at the Harley dealer. Checked at Walmart at $114.95. Called Battery Plus $159.95. Then called Indy that services my bike and he had in stock Drag Specialties Premium battery. Made in the U.S.A. 500 cranking amps and best part is made by Yuasa. So online normal retail is $184.95 my Indy charged me $133.95. So maybe shopping around you may find the Drag battery at a better price than retail.......

TQ,
Any thoughts on the Power Source battery so far? I just discovered the battery in my '08 FLHTCU is 8.5 years old. I have only had the bike a year and just pulled it to find out how old it was and was shocked. I started looking for a battery and found the 600 cca PS battery also. It appealed to me because of the 103 jugs on my bike but it is hard to find anyone who has any experience with it.
The one comment I did find on another forum the guy said it really gave a good spin but he had not had it very long.

I will definitely be installing a new battery. I ride year round in the Dallas area and plug a Schumacher (Walmart) battery maintainer in when I dismount at home.

I have really not had the battery long enough to have given it the "acid test" (pardon the pun). So far it is fine. But I keep it on the Battery Tender Jr. whenever I come back to the house (usually ride it to work and back on days with good weather). Round trip is about 20 miles, so the battery gets cranking load and then the full electrical load of a UC twice a day without much seat time to recharge. So I thing the BT Jr. is important for care and feeding of the battery.

Cheers,

TQ

I believe using a tender is how I got 8 plus years on O.E. battery.

Ive used a BT everyday for two batteries and never got more that 2.5 years out of one. This battery is has not seen the BT. We'll see what happens. It is my primary vehicle and gets ridden everyday. The extreme Florida heat for 5 months dont help either....

A few years back I put an Everstart (Walmart brand) in my RSV for the simple reason that if it went out a replacement would always be nearby. It had a 1 year warranty. 10 months later it died a sudden death in my garage while on a Schumacher battery maintainer. It had always been on the Sch. when I was at home. I got a completely free replacement of the same battery and 4 years later when I sold the Venture it was still going strong and had been maintained by the same Sch. Go figure.
In my search for comments on the Power Source I saw a lot of very positive and also a lot very negative comments on the HD battery while searching the various HD forums. If fact my own HD battery is 8.5 years old and still doing the job. In my 73 years I have never had any battery, auto or bike, last this long.
I guess ya pays ya money and takes ya chances. I think I'll order the Power Source. 8.5 years is long enough.
Thanks for the comments.

TQ thanks for starting this thread, very informative.

I have 2013 FLHTC. bought it in May 2013, in Oct 2013 while in Daytona for Biketoberfest notice my amp gauge was jumping all over the place. Dealer replaced the voltage regulator. Nov 2014 bike starts stumbling on starts, took it to the dealer, they said the operating amps were o.k. but CCA amps were low so they replaced it since it was within the original 2 year warranty. Again, the last 2 weeks it has been stumbling on starts, while riding Sunday sure enough would not start, got a jump and made it home. Called the dealer to complain, 3 HD AGM batteries in 3 1/2 years seems excessive to me. They sent the trailer up this morning to get the bike, going to check the entire charging system and call me. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

FYI it is a most days rider
Ride 11 miles each way to work and lots of long rides on weekends & vacation ±10,000 year.
I keep it on a BT Jr. when at home

TQ,

Rowdy,

I have NOT had a good experience with the Power Source Batteries: Lightning Start Battery WPX30L-LS battery I installed in my '12 UC in 09/15. It had started having significant problems starting the engine which probably meant a bad cell or so. Charged up well and showed good voltage level when charged, but when trying to crank the engine the voltage would drop to below 5 Vdc and fluctuate until the engine caught.

Took it over to Interstate Batteries and had it load tested. At 300 A load the Vdc of the battery dropped like a stone. You can see in my post above (battery specs) that the battery was rated at 600 CCA. Not happening anymore.

So I would not recommend that battery. I got less than 15 mos. on it before have to replace it.

I bought a new battery at Interstate Batteries. Here is what I have just installed in my '12 UC:

Cycle-Tron II - 30 AH
Product ID: CYIX30L-BS
Cold Cranking Amps: 385
Voltage: 12
Termination:
Weight (lbs): 23
Width (in): 5
Length (in): 6.56
Height (in): 6.88
CAP-10: 30.00
WET/DRY: W

Cycle-Tron II batteries have Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology with a sealed case, spill-proof design, and an acid pack. Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology is an advanced battery design that eliminates water loss. Once it is filled with acid, the battery is permanently sealed so you'll never have to fill it with water or check the acid level.

We'll see how this does.

I also went to HD in Kingwood to see about getting new relays to replace the Start, System, Brake and Lighting ones. They did not have either the 31586-07s or the 31595-09s. Oh well. Will try to get them somewhere else. I am just replacing those as a preventive since they have about 5 years on the one in the bike.

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Interstate Battery-reduced.jpg
    Interstate Battery-reduced.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuse block-reduced.jpg
    Fuse block-reduced.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 1
Back