free website stats program LeBron James | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

LeBron James

Something happens to these young kids when they are told during High School that they have the athletic talent to make millions of dollars a year playing a game.

The first problem is that their maturity stops right that instant. So they are 16 forever.

The second problem is that now they have coaches, colleges, and scout drooling all over them telling them how great things are going to be. This is too much for a kid, so they internalize it all and truly believe their own hype.

The last problem is that they have no clue how to handle that kind of money, attention, or pressure so they hire idiots to manage them. The idiots take a big cut, then look for ways to increase the income so they get more cash. They just let the athlete go nuts with what they keep.

So now you have a mental 16 year old that breezed through school because no one was ever going to do anything that would endanger their eligibility (if they finished school or college) with fans and women begging for their attention and more money than they can ever really spend... and we have to wonder why they see themselves as super men instead of mortals? Why they waste money on pimped out cars that they never drive, women in every town, tattoos from head to toe that mean nothing to them, and could care less about the specific team they are playing on? Add to all that that a lot of these guys came from very bad situations that they would never have gotten out of without sports and you have the perfect storm for a self-centered waste of human breath that just happens to be good at basketball, football, soccer (in other countries mostly), hockey, or anything else.

All that said, these guys work harder every day to keep in shape and keep up their skills than I would ever want to do. They do deserve a solid salary Since they can not really do anything else and will be physically trashed at 40 to 45 I can see it being a large salary. It is currently far too much, but something in the half million range would be fine.

My last comment. I remember an interview with an injured football player back in the late 80s that tells the whole story. He had taken a hit that caused some knee damage, and his career was over. He would never play again, but the injury was not bad enough to cause life long pain or disability. He was not a big star, and had just been an average lineman. The reporter asked him what he planned on doing now that football was over for him. I can not give a direct quote, but it went something like this;

Well I have some money left over from playing, and I have a degree in business. I plan to just work at some company, and I figured if I could just get a normal salary I will be fine. You know, something in the half million a year range.

!!!?!?!?!?!
This guy was so out of touch with reality that he really thought $500k a year is what normal people make. You could almost see the look of shock on his face when the reporter told him the average salary in the state at that time was about $35k a year. I will let everyone know when I finally get a job at this guy's version of normal.

My 14-year son is a basket fan. Somewhat a good player, reaching 6'1", just learning all about basket. We spend a lot of time talking about NBA, increasing as more Spanish players arrive there. He was so astonished with the figures, play, physical abilities of LJ, "king-what"? Until he saw the last 08-09 play-off game and how this guy left the court without a word to his pals or rivals. The posters, photos and admiration vanished.

It is time, LJ, to learn how mythic players must behave. If you want to be one of them, of course
WAP.gif

I don’t really have an issue with him leaving Cleveland as a free agent. I do have a major problem with the way he did it.

He knew all along he was leaving. By delaying his “decision” the Cavaliers Organization missed some opportunities to pursue available free agents.

If he wants to be treated like a man he should act like one. Just ‘man up’ and tell them you are signing elsewhere and be done with it.

Anytime I have left companies I simply gave my 2 weeks notice and moved on.

It's all about the money. Sports are no longer entertainment, it has become a business that most people can no longer efford to go to the games.

I don't watch basketball but since in Fisco I watched the playoffs andI like most of america was happy to see Lebron loose.

I don't watch basketball but since in Fisco I watched the playoffs andI like most of america was happy to see Lebron loose.

Amen bro. And not even so much about Lebron losing, but Dirk and Jason Kidd winning. Good guys do prevail occasionally. :s I'm not a basketball fan, but living in Dallas, had to root for the Mavs. And all sports these days is about "ME, ME, ME". Show me the money. And now football and basketball are locked out because millionaires are arguing with billionaires over money. I say let them all get a job at Home Depot and find out what it's really like to support your family on $8-$10/hr. and see if they still complain about what they're making now. I'll never forget when Sprewell was offered like $7 mil for one season and he turned it down and said, "How am I supposed to feed my kids on only $7 mil a year"??? And he was dead serious. :newsmile08:
I love my football, but if they don't play another game, I won't be too upset. If they never play another NBA game, I might not even notice.

It's all about the money. Sports are no longer entertainment, it has become a business that most people can no longer efford to go to the games.

It's still entertainment to us fans, but a business to the owners and players. I still take my son to Rangers baseball games, but not nearly as often as we used to. Cheap tickets can still be had, but like $20 to park, $7 beers, $5 hot dogs, $7 for a little piece of shoe leather they call a burger. McDonalds 99 cent burgers are bigger and better. It's ridiculous. But as long as people are still willing to pay it, they'll keep raising the prices. I say all the fans need to go on strike until they lower the prices. Will never happen but...... "What if they played a game and nobody showed"??? Wouldn't that be awesome??? Someone might get the message eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back