free website stats program Leathers + dew rag = Bad Service. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Leathers + dew rag = Bad Service.

I got three tats so far, a big skull on the left arm biting down on a motorcycle chain,, had the chain then added the skull, figure bikes are a part of me but being hit four times death seems to want some action too. And I have a bio mechanical piece on my right arm. I designed my own tats. The better half took 2nd place at the Lexington tat convention with a piece done on her left arm, a couple of cute monkies,,they are in Scott Winskeys portfolio on line if anyone interested. But we have the right to eat or get good service regardless me think.

I find that the amazing thing happens when people realize that the patch on my back is not what they imagined. I am a motorcycle minister with Bikers for Christ and the first reaction quickly reverses to a thumbs up or an "Amen!" Watching people eye my patches as they read them and the eye contact they make is precious. I wish all bikers were treated with the respect a Christian club/ministry receives in public and the best you can do is treat people the way you would like to be treated and the results will be awesome. I agree that in many places the 1% clubs have a great reputation in the community for charity and service and they are respected. In many they aren't and to many folks only see the bad and refuse to see the good in motorcyclists. Our motto is "Full Throttle for Jesus"...choose yours.

:rider:rider

This has happened to me before get put in the back of the room around back at a motel. This Apirl will be two years ago i lost my best friend to a scooter crash.His mother ask me to get all of the friends together and ride the scooters to the memorial that was no problem. Then she said we were to come to there Church for lunch then i ask her about what to wear she said Tshirts and jeans. Because thats what Alan would have wanted so we did. We got all kinds of looks when we got to the Church. So about to weeks passed and i got phone call from the Paster of the Church asking if i would come back to Church on a Sunday morning so i get on the phone and we go to Church on the following Sunday. Well we were all in shock when the service started the paster was dress in a tshirt and jeans and a dewrag.After the service the paster came over to me and friends and told us that we had changed the way people at his Church and in his town looked at Bikers. That gave all of us a real good feeling

I haven't had any negative experiences ..to the contrary one experience sticks out in my mind. A few friends and myself were on the Pa turnpike coming back from a dealership or two and stopped at one of the turnpike plazas to get some coffee. When we walked in the door and off to our left there were about five or six late teen or twenty something's making a racket ,eyeballing people and just being a bit rowdy. This behavior had caused all the patrons coming in to sit on the other side if the plaza. As we walked by minding our own business one of my buddies told me take a peak over at the twenty something's. They were kind of eyeballing us without being too obvious . As we were getting our coffee we watched as the rude behavior continued .After getting our coffee and since the whole other side of the plaza was full we sat on the same side as the twenty something's (about one table away).We weren't trying to be tough guys or make a point, we were just trying to take a break......Their mothers would have been proud of what polite and respectful young people they were. OH such good children. One could only hope to have such good children. We minded our own business and kept to ourselves talking and relaxing.. The whole time we were there there was not one more rude act. I laugh about it to this day when I think about it.

I'll chime in and say that Me and My riding friends do get some odd looks when we are ridin. We typically start out early for breakfast someplace, and about 50% of the time I would say that our service suffers.

However, I work in sales and have to dress appropriatly for work. No suit, but dress slacks and button down shirt. You want a taste of TERRIBLE SERVICE, just walk in a bike shop to pick up something dressed like that! I have been ingnored more times than I care to remember, and ALWAYS get treated like I don't know my bike from a Beemer! I have been the only customer in the place, cant get service or anyone to talk to me, then walks in someone in a doo rag, and BAM, they are all over him.

I think we have to accept that people will look at us differently and probably treat us differently. As someone already said, we will be treated as what we appear to be. It is because people don't know what lies beneath the "robes". I have had some chances to prove their first impression wrong. And I have to admit I have done it myself. Like the kid behind the counter that looks like he lost a knock down, drag out fight with a nail gun. Right or wrong, it is how we have learned to "protect" ourselves.

Yes Top, I agree. That is what I am trying to say. I won't trust the nailgun kid, just because my first impression is "Wow, your parents must really be proud!". Those kids choose to give that impression. Some of them are "gangsta" others are wannabes. But they will all be treated the same.

I am in agreement CRAZYFROG,
I have seen it first hand when I went to my local dealer and exclaimed
I am buying a bike this weekend. They for the most part ignored me.
I was wearing Vollyball shorts and a Princton football teeshirt. Run me over to wait on the guy with the chaps and leather bandanna buying a 45 dollar Willie G points cover when I am telling them I want to spend 10,000.
Went to a Larger dealer in Delaware and they were happy to take my money.
LOL

I don't know that my husband or i have been discriminated against because of our appearance, last year, several of his club members and spouses went to breakfast at the snooty side of town, we had our leathers on and their club is a three patch club, Gunslingers, everyone in the restuarant stopped what they were doing including the wait staff and cooks and never took their eyes off of us until we were seated.We were on our way to a cancer beneift luncheon out of town also if they had only known how safe they really were, since the club is only open to law enforcement, active or retired. in regards to women being friendlier with bikers, i agree, as my patch says biker butts drive me nutts!! my husband always has stories of women coming up to him asking questions about his bike or being friendly, well now i come home stories with guys giving me the thumbs up or the nod when i'm out riding.

Back