free website stats program Last years for carbs??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Last years for carbs???

I'm looking at trading one of my Sportsters up for a softtail or touring model, but would like a carb motor. What was the last year for carbs?

Also, did any of the carb motors come with the 6 speed tranny?

08 was all fi including sportsters .. i think touring went all fi in 05-06 and softails round same time

Sporties were the last to change to EFI in model year 2007...and model year 2008 was the last year of the "R" models with dual disc brakes and cast wheels. :(

The Twenty first Century

2000 Softails get the new updated TC88 with a vibration suppressor. Sportsters get new updates to the engine cases. Disc brakes change to dual piston calipers. The Deuce is introduced and most agree it's uglier than the old Boatail Superglide. June 20th, Harley drops its application to register its trademark of the sound of its motorcycles with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The 2000 Harley-Davidson™ limited-edition model F-150 Super Cab is jointly developed by Ford Motor Company and Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Fuel injection is unveiled as a new feature on the Softail line of motorcycles for the 2001 model year.

2001 Introduction of the "Revolution" V-Rod and H-D actually manages to convince most of the Yuppies that it's NOT a crotch rocket. Optional Harley-Davidson security systems are available.

2003 Harley-Davidson and Ford agree to celebrate joint 100th anniversaries with the Ford Harley-Davidson F-Series trucks. Harley-Davidson celebrates it's 100th birthday with a huge bash in Milwaukee and all those folks that ordered their '03 Anniversary Edition three years ago are now finding that there are more Anniversary bikes on the road than SUVs and they will never achieve "Collector Value".

2004 Sportsters get a new look with a new frame and rubber mounted motors.1200s get a "Dyna" looking fuel tank

2005 The FLSTN returns but it's not called a 'Nostalgia', it's called the 'Deluxe'.
The 883Low is added

2006 The anniversary of the Dyna brings a complete makeover with a new frame, 6 speed "Cruisedrive" transmission, automatic primary chain adjuster and many more new features. Added to the lineup is the FXDB Street Bob and the FLHX Street Glide

2007 Carburetors are gone from all Harley-Davidsons, even the Sporties are all fuel injected now.
The "Hands-Free" security system is introduced and hated by all.
The Bigtwins all get an increased stroke bumping the C.I.s to 96", plus they all get the 6 speed trans and auto P-chain adjuster.
Fatboys get much fatter with a 200 rear tire.
The Nightster is added to black out the Sporty.

08rocker.jpg

2008 Baggers gain one gallon in the fuel tank but loose their throttle cables for the "Fly-by-Wire" twist grip and optional ABS brakes.
Dyna brings back the Fat Bob with a 16" fat front tire.
The "Rocker" is added to the Softail family with a solo seat and a swingarm mounted rear fender.

Now this is just from memory :lolrolling

I had the option to get either carb or EFI when I bought the 2002 (in Aug 2001), but the one on the floor at the dealership was the color I wanted and had the carb. After looking at the wiring diagram in the service manual, I think I am better off with the carb!!
LOL

Honestly, carbs have been around long enough that all the real nits were worked out...until the EPA stepped in...leaning out the mixtures, strangling the breathing, squeezing manuafacturers get every bit of power out of a drop of fuel...yet lower emissions and provide a "driveable and efficient marketable machine..."

HD R&D all the while is desperately trying to regain the lost horsepower, upping displacement, infusing more precisely metered EFI, working in concert with ECM (Electronic Computer Module) multitasking a host of sensors to monitor engine loading, throttle position, spark advance/duty cycle etc into the mix, reducing rolling resistance and tire technology as well...IMO they have done quite well considering the uphill battle. Most other manufactures totally change their engines and running gear every 4-7 years...HD somehow has keep things together for what...20-30 years regarding the basic engine and running gear? Pretty incredible when you think about it.

Last edited:
The Twenty first Century

2000 Softails get the new updated TC88 with a vibration suppressor. Sportsters get new updates to the engine cases. Disc brakes change to dual piston calipers. The Deuce is introduced and most agree it's uglier than the old Boatail Superglide. June 20th, Harley drops its application to register its trademark of the sound of its motorcycles with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The 2000 Harley-Davidson™ limited-edition model F-150 Super Cab is jointly developed by Ford Motor Company and Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Fuel injection is unveiled as a new feature on the Softail line of motorcycles for the 2001 model year.

2001 Introduction of the "Revolution" V-Rod and H-D actually manages to convince most of the Yuppies that it's NOT a crotch rocket. Optional Harley-Davidson security systems are available.

2003 Harley-Davidson and Ford agree to celebrate joint 100th anniversaries with the Ford Harley-Davidson F-Series trucks. Harley-Davidson celebrates it's 100th birthday with a huge bash in Milwaukee and all those folks that ordered their '03 Anniversary Edition three years ago are now finding that there are more Anniversary bikes on the road than SUVs and they will never achieve "Collector Value".

2004 Sportsters get a new look with a new frame and rubber mounted motors.1200s get a "Dyna" looking fuel tank

2005 The FLSTN returns but it's not called a 'Nostalgia', it's called the 'Deluxe'.
The 883Low is added

2006 The anniversary of the Dyna brings a complete makeover with a new frame, 6 speed "Cruisedrive" transmission, automatic primary chain adjuster and many more new features. Added to the lineup is the FXDB Street Bob and the FLHX Street Glide

2007 Carburetors are gone from all Harley-Davidsons, even the Sporties are all fuel injected now.
The "Hands-Free" security system is introduced and hated by all.
The Bigtwins all get an increased stroke bumping the C.I.s to 96", plus they all get the 6 speed trans and auto P-chain adjuster.
Fatboys get much fatter with a 200 rear tire.
The Nightster is added to black out the Sporty.

08rocker.jpg

2008 Baggers gain one gallon in the fuel tank but loose their throttle cables for the "Fly-by-Wire" twist grip and optional ABS brakes.
Dyna brings back the Fat Bob with a 16" fat front tire.
The "Rocker" is added to the Softail family with a solo seat and a swingarm mounted rear fender.

Now this is just from memory :lolrolling

Wow! you are truely a genius.

Back