free website stats program Last shot on this one..03 RKC | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Last shot on this one..03 RKC

first thing to check is fuel pressure. ckp those things r good or bad no in between all they do is send signal to tell ecm engine speed. map sensor un plug it see if any different at idle. if ckp was bad it will not start. CHECK FUEL PRESSURE.

I disagree- read too many threads from intermittent, to heat, to no start issues with CKP's. We still don't know if the signal is reaching the ECM (wiring).

I agree It would be nice to rule out something here!
As far as I'm concerned, Nothing has really been ruled out yet. You mentioned some stuff in the tank....fuel pump, filter, regulator..?? whats the deal there? whats new, when & why.

This still could be and open in a wire to an injector, 03's were known for this and a wiggle test is not confirmation. It's time for continuity testing and ohming out these wires.

Also still not sure why the Indy suggested a regulator. I would like to know if there is steady voltage coming from the charging system.

Also the MAP sensor..??
here is a current read, see post 14 & 16
backfiring through intake - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums - HDTimeline.com

It's going to be next weekend. Work is calling me away. Here's my intent: Check fuel pressure. Break out the meters and check levels on everything.

On the fuel system: I changed all the internals a couple years back chasing a cracked throttle body shaft. Fuel pump, filter, don't recall about the regulator. I'm intrigued about the MAP.

She's not going anywhere quick. Now it's a quest. This shall be beat.

I truly appreciate all the input on this one. If I ever stumble across one of yall, first one is one me.
WAP.gif

I'm back, getting a late late start.

Unplugged the map sensor, no change. Did get an engine light. Should I have gotten a change?

Pressure tomorrow night. If no joy then, I'm taking the tank off.

Ok, Ribeye Chief, I went the fuel way. A second visual didn't show me anything new.

Question. The fuel pressure gauge, that isn't the Autozone types I can rent, is it? I saw Jim's on line for $400+ that just ain't gonna happen.

I can walk out in my garage and I can almost hear her (the scoot) laughing at me for trying to sell her.

On the bright side, I have a spare regulator and cps. :newsmile108:
Somebody can use them someday.

second visual. u need to use gauge. autozone types yes but u need adaptor h-d has it they say u need two I get away with one. there like 80 bucks.i would get it checked be for u throw more money at it. heck u changed every thing else

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Gettin closer. I searched the world for pn 44061, the adapter to check pressure. Harley won't sell me one :small3d023:

Travel slowed me down a week.
So I'm sitting there in the garage. Debating the gauge purchase or a tow. The wife, acting like she was interested asked what's up. I explained a tad about pressure leaks, sensors and stuff.

I opened the tank, just a smidge of gas in there. I turned on the switch to activate the pump so she could listen and see. She said, so it's a leak in the hose. I said I wish it was, you would have to see or hear some splashing. After telling me I am blind, she put her flashlight on the tank opening, told me to do it again. Lo and behold. A steady spew coming across the tank. I got a pressure leak. It's a hose. I did get new glasses this past week. :rofl

Harley parts open Sunday in Dallas. She should be up and running Sunday night.

Chief,Ribeye,Stray,Bubbie, Bodeen and others. Thank y'all

I'm Gettin closer. I searched the world for pn 44061, the adapter to check pressure. Harley won't sell me one :small3d023:

Travel slowed me down a week.
So I'm sitting there in the garage. Debating the gauge purchase or a tow. The wife, acting like she was interested asked what's up. I explained a tad about pressure leaks, sensors and stuff.

I opened the tank, just a smidge of gas in there. I turned on the switch to activate the pump so she could listen and see. She said, so it's a leak in the hose. I said I wish it was, you would have to see or hear some splashing. After telling me I am blind, she put her flashlight on the tank opening, told me to do it again. Lo and behold. A steady spew coming across the tank. I got a pressure leak. It's a hose. I did get new glasses this past week. :rofl

Harley parts open Sunday in Dallas. She should be up and running Sunday night.

Chief,Ribeye,Stray,Bubbie, Bodeen and others. Thank y'all

I cant be leave h-d will not sell you a gauge adaptor I just order one to day 62.99 you should still get a gauge to have. make sure u r not seeing presser regulator returning fuel back in tank. pump puts out more presser then 55-62psi system needs. regulator returns excess its next to pump. go to a deferent h-d

...I opened the tank, just a smidge of gas in there. I turned on the switch to activate the pump so she could listen and see. She said, so it's a leak in the hose. I said I wish it was, you would have to see or hear some splashing. After telling me I am blind, she put her flashlight on the tank opening, told me to do it again. Lo and behold. A steady spew coming across the tank. I got a pressure leak. It's a hose...
Remember to get the correct hose clamps (never reuse the old ones, and generic screw-on types are not appropriate) and get the tool to clamp them on (be very careful to do this part right).

If you slip the old hose on, over the top of the new one (not in the clamps, just wrapped over), you will have an extra layer to keep the new hose from wearing through from rubbing.

Also, take care how you route the new hose, to prevent places where it will lay and rub. New, replacement hoses are shorter than the originals, so there will be less excess hose, and that will also reduce the potential for repeat.

Enjoy,
Rich P

And finally. :D
Yep, a hole in the hose. 2nd one in 3 yrs. But also, I lifted the assembly partially to see how big this leak was that I missed. I turned it on to pressurized the system. A 6ft heavy stream shot out. Went to longhorn harley, open today. They hooked me up. Great service, good folk.

The plastic bracket that holds the regulator had given out and the seal had ballooned, so to speak. Thus another way out for the fuel.

She's back together, she runs like a dream. First run in 6 weeks..

New hose (and clamps, I got the tool). New regulator bracket, screws, gaskets etc. Spare voltage regulator and cps. I'll sit on those for a while. Oh, the new hose is shorter, shouldn't be a rubbing issue.

I'll wait a week to see if she's stayin home or moving on.

Thanks y'all. I really needed this today.

Back