free website stats program Laced wheels and spoke tension | Harley Davidson Forums

Laced wheels and spoke tension

Safehaven

I have this gremlin in the back of my mind for some time now..

Basically I have no confidence on what to do to make sure my laced wheels are in good order. I have no complaints about the ride quality at this moment, but every time I clean the wheels I notice that some spokes sound a whole lot different that others. The service manual specifies a torque range, but surely tightening one spoke will have an effect on the tension of the others, not to mention the runout of the rim..

Is there anyone here who can set me on my way with things to read/do so that I can get a feel of how it should be done? I'd really like to learn this decently so I can periodically check and service my wheels myself. Now every time I take my bike to the dealers I come back wondering if they did everything they should have.. Then I go to sleep and ponder about it for some time until I decide I need to be able to check it myself :)

Some literature on wheel building would be great as well, maybe one day I'll get confident enough to build some sets myself. ;)

Do a search on "lacing motorcycle wheels" you should get lots of sites that talk and show how to do it. Select the one that is written in your style of understanding. I'd suggest getting a couple of junk bicycle wheels and playing with them while you are reading the how to's you find on line.

Belgium is where my two all time motocross idols, Joel Robert and Roger Decoster are from.

Back