free website stats program Knock knock! | Harley Davidson Forums

Knock knock!

Tanski64

Any suggestions as to what this noise could be! Was traveling about 55mph and out of nowhere this noise appeared! 2000 road king

Last edited:
So many possibilities. My first guess would be that a lifter has lost it's roller bearings. Drain your oil and check the oil and pan for shiny pieces of metal.

[QUOTE="Tanski64]Any suggestions as to what this noise could be! Was traveling about 55mph and out of nowhere this noise appeared! 2000 road king[/QUOTE]

How many miles on the motor? Is the motor stock? Any work done recently?
Sounds like a rocker arm tapping a valve stem because there is lash in the valve train. If push rods are adjustable, one has loosened up. If push rods are OEM, then a lifter collapse could be the issue. Could also be a valve seat that has come loose in the head; rare but it does happen.

86k cams and tensioner were all replaced 10k miles ago! Per previous owner and as I have the case open I’d believe it! looks brand new! As far as any other work I’m not sure, I just bought the bike 1k miles ago! Besides oil change, and spark plugs I havnt touched it! Road the day before for 200 miles and ran great next day got in the bike and got about 19 miles out of town and it just happens, no progression just straight to knocking

[QUOTE="Tanski64]86k cams and tensioner were all replaced 10k miles ago! [/QUOTE]

What cams? If new cams were installed, adjustable push rods may have been installed as well. You need to dig deeper; just because rocker arms, support plate, etc. all look good doesn't mean there isn't any lash in the valve train and it doesn't take much to make noise. I have listened to the noise several times and would bet a six pack there is lash in the valve train. ;) Get a stethoscope and try to isolate the location.

I agree with dolt, a simple adjustment of the push rods my cure your problem.
It's a process of elimination and a good starting point would be the push rod adjustment.
If that takes care of it your done, if not move onto the lifters. JMHO.

Breeze3at said:
Wouldn't it be something if the horn was loose inside the cover? :(

Absolutely.;) Certainly a possibility which is why the stethoscope to isolate the location. My brother and I were chasing a nasty vibration on is '05 Dyna and, of course, we checked crank run out, motor mounts, pipe attachment, checked or re-torqued most fasteners, etc. and after a coupe of hours we were still scratching our heads. The bike was on my lift and I had dropped a wrench on the floor. When I bent over to pick it up, I saw a small rock wedged between the frame cross member and the pan; problem solved. Strange noises and vibrations can be tricky to diagnose and solve and sometimes we make it even trickier by over looking the simpler solutions. Having said that, the noise in the video sure sounds like a loose rocker arm.:confused:

Take a listen; sound familiar? You have to listen real close when the camera moves in on the rocker box to hear the rocker arms and these push rods have been properly adjusted. So, there would be a more audible click if there was just even a couple of thousandths lash in the valve train. But, as Breeze3at points out, maybe the horn is loose in the cover.;)

Last edited:
Back