free website stats program Killed Two Birds With One Stone Last Night | Harley Davidson Forums

Killed Two Birds With One Stone Last Night

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've never been a big fan of riding at night or riding in the rain. Doesn't really scare me or anything I just prefer not to do either if I have a choice.

Well last night, I rode over to a local bike night to spend a few minutes catching up with a fellow rider I hadn't seen in a while and then I was going to ride over to a restaurant to meet my wife for dinner. First stop was the ATM and it started raining (not even in the forecast of course) on the way so I got the chance to pull my rain coat out of the saddlebag. Wore it to the bike night and it was fine.

Got the text that my wife was on the way to the restaurant so I headed that way too. No rain now but ominous skies and lightning way off in the distance. Well, you guessed it, while eating dinner the thunderstorm decides to park itself right over my bike for about 30 minutes. When we finished eating, at least the thunder and lightning had moved on but it was still raining hard. Sooo - I got to ride home in the dark AND the rain. I made it just fine even though the whole ride I was thinking about how I'd never see a huge puddle and start hydroplaning! Took it slow and easy and it was no big deal.

I did learn one valuable lesson I'd like to pass on. If there's even a chance of rain, do NOT hang your helmet from the grips by the chin strap, in other words - upside down. I must have poured a quart of rainwater out of that thing before squishing it onto my head!

Night riding doesn't bother me, in fact I enjoy it! I won't ride if rain is forcast. I have been caught in several storms and it is OK if you go slow and safe, but I hate cleaning all the spots off the bike after.

More afraid of hitting a deer at night than anything, other wise it does not bother me. Riding in the rain I don't mind unless it is heavy, and you cann't see. These old eyeballs are not what they use to be.

Well my Rider friends kill me..they say when I invite them to the house for a get together that they have to get back to the main road before night falls..they tell me i live in a petting Zoo...OMG the deer here are thick as lightning bugs...lol and hardly a night goes by ya don't see at least two...and if ya got a full moon...holy moely...I've literately seen as many as 8 to 10 cross in front of my wife and I..so we kinda know the areas they cross..so I hate night riding..unless I'm in the city..and as far as rain..Seem like i get caught in the rain is always a surprise...lol only time i will start in the rain on purpose is on a PGR ride...But I always been lucky..with the helmet thing...shhh don't tell my wife i said it..but she ain't...lol...:D

Just remember: any ride you take that ends up back in the garage, is a good ride!

TQ

Now I know why I always set my helmet on top of the mirror:D

Doc,

I'm glad you made it home safe but as far as the squishy helmet goes I have to say LOL.

Doc,

I'm glad you made it home safe but as far as the squishy helmet goes I have to say LOL.

Actually, I was in such a good mood I laughed about it most of the way home. It's only water right?

Back