free website stats program K&N Oil Filters | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Oil Filters

Do they filter better than HD brand? HD says theirs will filter down to 5 micron. Anyone know if this is true and what is K&N rated for?

Over the years, we've had many discussions about K&N vs HD oil filters. Too bad the tech tips and articles are gone. A big point of concern was the micron rating and the size of the piston oil cooling jets. The oil jets are measured in thousands of an inch, filters in microns. Someone did some math, and found that the size of the oil jets was way, way bigger than any oil filter micron rating. The only failure I know K&N filters are guilty of is the cast in nut at the end rounds off easily. K&N has sold an awful lot of Harley oil filters thru the years so ……………..

The way I see it is that HD probably contracts it out to the lowest bidder. I know they don't produce them. K&N has always been at the top of my list and others that I have talked with about filters. I would think that if the bike is under warranty, there might be an issue dealing with the dealership if something oil-related comes up.

This is a reply from K&N.

Hello,

At this time, the micron rating test information about our oil filters is not available. However, each K&N oil filter is designed to meet or surpass the factory requirements of the vehicle engine manufacturer.
If you have any additional questions about our oil filters not related to the micron test data, please feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact our customer service department at 800-858-3333 and a customer service representative will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

K&N Customer Service & Tech Support
http://www.knfilters.com
Phone: (800) 858-3333

Its as if they get that question all the time and they are "sensitive" about it....Or the micron rating is horrible and they are embarrassed to share it...Odd response IMO.

I am sure they do. Since HD puts that 5 micron print on their package it has people up in arms to find something other than HD's filter but they want to make sure it meets that 5 micron rating. I've been using them on both twin cam engines for quite awhile and I've never had an issue.
Its as if they get that question all the time and they are "sensitive" about it....Or the micron rating is horrible and they are embarrassed to share it...Odd response IMO.

A micron is a millionth of a meter. or to say it another way, 5 microns = 0.005 mm

https://www.metric-conversions.org/length/microns-to-millimeters.htm

I tend to agree with K & N's reply. By saying their filters meet Harley's specs you have a yes/no answer; it either does or does not. Why open yourself up to questions and discussions which come down to irrelevancy. And does it really matter if the filter element filters 4, 5 or 6 or 10 or whatever microns as long as it meets Harley's specifications?

My 2¢

Back