free website stats program K&N oil filter problem? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N oil filter problem?

Well if anyone is interested I changed the filter back to an HD filter and took about a 50 mile ride and everything is back to normal. Think it is a good idea to stick with what works. Parts guys think maybe a bad K&N filter or restrictive flow compared to HD. Either way I can ride with peace of mind again.:D

And you thought I was kidding you about the HD filters.:D

As i have never tried anything but HD oil filters i wouldn't know if they are better or worse than anything else i just know that they work for me

Brian

Wrong drain back ect in off brand can and will cause a lot of problems. I have seen a lot of engine problems on cars and trucks in my years all related to the wrong filter being used. They may fit them same but there not the same on the inside. I have always used Harley filters bar none. Why pay 20K for a nice bike and be cheap on an oil filter.

Good info. I was debating K&N over HD filter on my next oil change. I will keep it simple. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Thanks.

Sounds like the original poster could possibly be using the incorrect filter. If you were speaking of a Softail, it could still be an Evo engine and would take a different micron rating on the filter.

You can use an Evo filter on a Twin Cam engine but not the other way around, without causing oiling and possible sumping conditions.

I havn't used a HD filter since the second oil change and I'm pushing towards 75 K on my 06 FLHTCUI with no issues.

Back