free website stats program K&N Air Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Air Filter

90FXRS

Contributor
I've been wondering how effective is the filter when the oil is gone. I've seen heavy breathers and other type of systems that have an open filter and obviously the wind has, in time, removed the oil from the filter.

K&N states their filter is good for more miles than most will ever put on their bike. That said you also need to do the required maint., clean, dry, reoil. I would think that if your filter sits out in the wind where you can see it you will do the maint. required.

the wind probably has little affect on the oil content compared to the affect the intake of air has.

The oil is an added attraction if you will ,to catch more air born dirt, The filter will still work even dry better than a stock filter, there is more surface area and the filter media is better:s

The small particles of dirt will stick to the oil and the filter and oil have been designed to work with a high flow of air over and through them
Just ensure the filter is serviced regularly and it should be good

Brian

When the fabric loses the red color from the K&N oil it is time to clean and apply new oil. I have two filter elements so it is easy to swap them out and then clean and re oil as time permits. No red color = more dirt in engine.

Back