free website stats program K&N Air Filter Question-Please Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

K&N Air Filter Question-Please Help!

sampson80

Ok, I had a stage I done when my bike was purchased in 2011. All this time I thought the Air Filter was a K&N until I recently started to perform some of the routine maint myself and realized the filter is an "HD Dry Elemnt Filter". Yesterday, I went to the dealer and picked up a K&N. My problem is the "Dry Element filter" has the bolt in it "pictured" and the K&N I purchased doesn't (also pictured). I tried to remove this bolt but it seems that it isn't made to be removed so I stopped before I stripped it. Did I buy the wrong filter or can this bolt be removed and placed on the new K&N???

Attachments

• airfilter.JPG
    airfilter.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 40
Ok, I had a stage I done when my bike was purchased in 2011. All this time I thought the Air Filter was a K&N until I recently started to perform some of the routine maint myself and realized the filter is an "HD Dry Elemnt Filter". Yesterday, I went to the dealer and picked up a K&N. My problem is the "Dry Element filter" has the bolt in it "pictured" and the K&N I purchased doesn't (also pictured). I tried to remove this bolt but it seems that it isn't made to be removed so I stopped before I stripped it. Did I buy the wrong filter or can this bolt be removed and placed on the new K&N???
Where are the other stand off bolts , still screwed into the back plate? Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories Have a look here. this is what the whole kit should resemble

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, the other two bolts are still in place on the bike... Is this not normal for the one to remain attached to the filter?

NO, there should be a small screw on the outside holding the filter to the stand off, there will also be a center bolt to hold your air cleaner cover on. When you get the stand off removed you will need to re install it ion the backing plate with some loctite, I do believe the install is in the self help section. let me know if you cannnot find it:D http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-49973.html Here ya go

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.. Looks like I am going to have to get a new stand-off bolt. I have stripped this one trying to get it off the old filter.

Thanks.. Looks like I am going to have to get a new stand-off bolt. I have stripped this one trying to get it off the old filter.

:s Good Luck and let us know how this turns out, did you do the original install or is a dealer responsible for this?

:s Good Luck and let us know how this turns out, did you do the original install or is a dealer responsible for this?

It was the dealer that originally installed. This was my first time removing the filter so I thought it was normal for that one bolt to come out with it even though it seemed odd..... now I know. I finally got it off, and now have the K&N on. Gonna get some loctite this week and apply to that standoff bolt. All is well. Thanks for the help.

Back