free website stats program Just mixed Mobil1 20w50 with 10w40 in engine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Just mixed Mobil1 20w50 with 10w40 in engine

Where ever you read that the GL5 wasn't needed in the trans is really on the wrong track.

Actually you can run peanut oil in there too but if you want what is best for the gears, they you use a gear oil, not an engine oil. Sure you will not throw the gears out through the case using engine oil but the wear factor between the gears will be more than an oil that is designed with certain additives to protect the gears. Use the peanut oil, it's cheaper yet. :s

As far as what the dealer tells you..... I wouldn't put too much stock in that. Some dealers still use syn 3 in all three holes. I have seen trans bearings and shift forks that were blue from improper lubricants used like engine oil (syn 3) in the trans so you can decide if you want to spend $15k-$20 for a bike and use something that is recommended by a dealer who in a lot of cases has profits in mind and not what is best. I on the other hand have no profits in mind and tell you what I have found that works best from many years in business and first hand experience and results.

You can make your own decision based on these facts.

I was looking to run mobil 1 75-90 gear oil but cannot find it anywhere here. Haven't seen much discussion for other brands that I can get in the synthetic gear.

I was looking to run mobil 1 75-90 gear oil but cannot find it anywhere here. Haven't seen much discussion for other brands that I can get in the synthetic gear.

Since you are running different than Gear Oil in the tranny....

On your next change, see how much metal is on the magnetic plug....

I use Redline Shockproof and I will show None on the magnetic drain plug, even after 20,000 miles.. Now I'd Bet you'll have metal showing up on the magnet even after only a few thousand miles... ANY Gear Oil is needed in the tranny. Many other choices than the FEW we Spout..

EVEN Amsoil gear oil will do an Excellent Job..

signed....BUBBIE

Just did a complete change of oil in all 3 holes. I decided to put Mobil 1 V Twin 20w-50 in everything.
I was on the last top up of the engine when I noticed the container was MX4T 10w-40.
Everything has the 20-50 in it, except the last 8/10 of a liter of MX4t 10w-40 in the engine. I di do a scavenger flush, so it was complete fresh oil. II did not sart it since the top up realization. Is there anything wroing or what do I need to know before driving this way.
I could drain the engine again and top up with VTwin, but it would probably take 3.5 - 4 liters at $14.00 a pop here.
I know, next time make sure everything is correct off the shelf, but what about this time?

Thanks.
Using that MX-4T motor oil in a V-Twin -- I guess now you're just gonna have to put on some major knobby tires and go on out to the Dirt Track with it. With that motocross oil, that's about the only thing you can do now.

KIDDING of course!!:s:s:D

Bill

You're only talking about one quart of oil for the tranny. I use Spectro 6 speed and it is about $16 but it's only one quart and Harley service interval is 20,000 miles. That's less than $1 per thousand miles. I change all three at 4,000 miles so it costs me a little more.
I agree with Billbo, you may want to add some Barkbusters to your handlebars when you go off roading!

In your climate that amount of 10-40 is not going to cause you any issues. I also use Mobil vtwin 20-50 in all 3 holes. No issues with it and that oil is rated for use in wet clutches & transmissions.

The gear sets in the current generation of HD 6 speeds contain some straight cut gears 1st & 5th ( that's why you can get a wine in 5th. ) and the rest are angle/bevel cut. No hypoid gears in the tranny therefore no real need for a gl5 gear oil. Both Amsoils & Mobils sites don't recommend a gear oil for these types of gear sets.

The motor oil/gear oil debate in these tranny's will go on for ever and like a lot of things there are different opinions. Use what makes you happy.

As a side note: the Mob 1 75-90 gear oil is available at the Esso Bulk dealers up here in Canada. That's the only place I was able to find it when I was living in Saskatchewan and used it in my BMW bike. It also equates to the same weight range as the 20-50 motor oil at operating temp. Go to Bob the Oil Guys site for lots of info about oil.

It also equates to the same weight range as the 20-50 motor oil at operating temp. Go to Bob the Oil Guys site for lots of info about oil.

It may be similar in some respects to motor oil but the additives and makeup are different in the gear oil so the shear doesn't break them down as fast.

I'll stick with a gear oil myself.

Back