free website stats program Just a Reminder Check over your Bike Good | Harley Davidson Forums

Just a Reminder Check over your Bike Good

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Since its winter and lots of us are doing work take time to check everything

Found this today a odd breakage and place for sure highway peg mount this is a super thick item while it should make ya crash if it snapped on road and fell off it would sure be a danger to those behind you

100_1630.jpg

Yep, bad cast & all it took was a bit of torque while cinching the bolt/clamp & "snap." Good eye...

One of the reasons why when parts guy asked whether I wanted pins or pinch bolts when changing the passenger and rider pegs, I chose the stock HD male mount pins, spring washers, clearance washer and cir-clips. They may make the pegs/mini wings I have not fit as tight, BUT no stress on the casting, which I was worried about going in...

rode my bike today, stopped to get gas and noticed my shifter linkage cover that says harley davidson, the front bolt that holds it on was gone, the cover was just hangin, i ran home to get new stainless bolt to put back in it. your right check everybolt.

I always give me bike a good look over every time I take it out. Always looking for something that does not look right, and remember it may seem like a pain to get down and really check things out that are hard to see, but better than something going wrong.

Being that the weather has us northern folks garage bound for a bit longer I have been going over everything that I can get my hands on. Going over all the spec's on what is what. A buddy and I spent all day saturday out in the garage. We did a once over on his wife's bike added some lights on his bike and new crome housing's on mine. Soon it will be time to ride. And for all you local folks I think we should have a ride say all through the kettle's and then end with a good old fashion cookout.

All you guys who say a bike is made for riding and not for washing, here's another reason to keep your machine clean and shiny. It gives you a good chance to check all those little nuts, bolts, screws, and various fasteners as you go over the bike 'wasting' :s all that riding time.

While I'm saying this in humor, it IS what I do once a week when I clean my bike. An hour a week, a couple of beers, some tunes on the stereo, and I not only have a clean bike but one that I've gone over looking for potential trouble. I've never had anything fall off the bike, or come loose, while out and about. Sure, it can still happen, but the chances are much smaller. I figure that one hour a week has saved me from spending a lot more time waiting for a tow, or a friend to bring something to get motive again.

Back