free website stats program Joyflyin Does Another Service | Harley Davidson Forums

Joyflyin Does Another Service

glider.

BOT Machine
Just a note from one of our leading "wrenches" on the forum. When you think working on your bike isn't something you wish to do, read this and maybe you'll get the courage to try it yourself.

Here's Joys other service.
Joyflyin Does A Service - Harley Davidson Community

From Joy...

I don't want to mislead you all, I don't break any records on speed when I work on the bike, but I probably only worked on it 2 afternoons. I got the checklist off the forum, (the same one that is in the manual, but easier to print). I can now print it from my manual on CD I got from Gary12850. I read over the list, then looked every thing up on the forum & in the manual to make sure I wanted to try this.

I started the project on a warm day, got the ride in & did the oil changes first. I then methodically started working through the check list. Now this is where I would really screw up the dealers allotted time for the job. Most of the stuff is basic, and some of the stuff really scared me. I would get to something new to me, & I would read the service manual, then look on the forum. Yes, I had my computer in the shop, air card plugged in & HDTimeline pulled up to refresh.

I will give you all the quick run down here. Oil changes went okay, I have done that before. Basic stuff like checking the air and all was okay. I had a bad case of fear with the clutch adjustment. Mine was working okay, so I was scared to mess with it. But, I watched the videos in the self help forum a half dozen times, then dove in. It went well, (we'll say so far) but I did learn a trick about loosening the nut on the clutch plate, for the tough ones, a good wallop on the handle of the ratchet will usually break it loose or put the bike in gear for those of us with tender hands, a 'soft' hammer will work. I used one of hubbies plastic hammers. After that, follow the directions in the self help section & on the video. You'll be fine.

My other scare was when I got to the fork oil. Having the deuce, I of course had to remove the front wheel. I got a little spooked there. I had to talk to my consultant to get through that. :s
I got the wheel off and did the fork oil change. I could have used that frozen fastener tool for those drain screws. Frozen Fastener tool
I didn't chew mine up too bad, but I will replace them next time around. The problem I had was that they were so tight that even though I was pushing the screwdriver in very firm, when I would try to turn it, the metal in the screw head would twist, it just made the edges kind of rough on the head. I was lucky that I didn't strip the heads out, (hubby isn't here to save me, & the HD shop is of course closed). But, the fork oil wasn't too bad, once I got the oil drained, the rest was relatively easy.

So, when I put the wheel back on, all looked well, so I lowered the bike, getting ready to run it into the wall, yep, a little birdie Glided by & told me to leave the slider cap screws loose and put the front wheel against the wall and bounce the front as hard as I can, no brakes, then torque the slider cap nuts to spec. This makes the front forks parallel with each other and keeps the front end from binding. :s Thanks Mr. Data!

So, those were the 2 toughest parts for me. The rest was fairly straight forward. Just kind of time consuming, for me at least, since my bike looks so cool & all, for me to get to most of the nuts & bolts, I had to take off all those stupid covers...... I bet the 'real' mechanics hate those stupid things! I put them back on though, what can I say, I like the looks.

I was surprised at how easy changing the spark plugs was though. I didn't even have to ask for help on that.

And, the best news was, that after it was all said & done, the old girl fired right up! I didn't have to use the choke or anything. I was thrilled. I was a bit worried about that, the battery tender was in the front garage & the bike was in the back. Now both bikes are in the toy box with the battery tenders waiting on warm weather.

I ran the bike for about 15 minutes tonight and the night I changed the oils, I also added some Seafoam in the tank. Hopefully this spring I won't have to take it in to my local wrench for the 'real' 10K service, it only has 9K on it now, this was a practice. If it didn't work, I was going to pay the pros this spring.

So, now with the money I saved, I may have to look into getting that speedo/tach I'm eyeballing, or maybe the chrome rear swing arm, but I think the tach would be more "practical'.

Good for you Joy...your right about those covers...and all those little screws...this thread is a shining example of what we all can do if we're patient and have the correct manual...I have been advocating the use of manuals since I came on board here, then in Sept I ran into these manuals I've been sending you'all, over 75 so far...I am sooo glad to help...

One more thing, and this is just a SUGGESTION guys, not me being presumptuous again, which is a kind word for being a little too outspoken, something I may be from time to time.....

This awesome experience related by Joy and made possible by Mr. Data and HDTimeline is just one MORE reason among a thousand others why EVERY MEMBER should have the word "Contributor" under their "handle"!

Think about it Brothers and Sisters!

Think of how much we get here, and how much it costs, in time, (and LOTS of it) by Mr. Data and his team, and money, (and LOTS of it), by the forum owner(s)!

It isn't "free" to bring all this fantastic stuff to us...not the Community and Fellowship we all share, which frankly rivals any club I have ever belonged to, without getting into specifics, and certainly beats hands down ANY tech support ANYWHERE else, including ANY other forum out there, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, because you guys prove my points every time you log on, right??

Thanks Richard for the post, however there is a problem with the pay pal feature associated with the site and it will be down for a while until it is straightened out.

We appreciate any and all donations to keep the site up and running because of the expense of doing it and will have the pay pal account back in order as quick as possible.

We want to thank those that have already donated and look forward to keeping the forum running even better in the future.

Thanks to everyone.:60:

Kudo's Joy ya got some guts .I read the way to do the forks on my Road king and was think i would just pay to have them done:D when the times comes maybe ill decide then ..

Bud

Yours are easy ones. The drains are on the outside of the forks and the wheel doesn't come off to do it.

Look at this post.

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers - Harley Davidson Community

That dont sound to bad the Harley Manual though makes it sound like a royal pain .

As a repair tech im not afraid of nothing but sometimes things sound better to pay and have done .. kind of like mufflers on a car just not my ideal of fun ..

but using that method ya posted should be a cake walk

10,000 miles it's good and broken in now so next will be the video
Joy does a burn out the right way :)

Hey Mr. Data, I don't have a pay pal account but would like to help out if there is an address to send in to

Back