free website stats program Jockey Shift | Harley Davidson Forums

Jockey Shift

Jayrad883

Good morning,

I am interested in installing a jockey shifter on my 2010 sporty. Does anyone know of a kit or anyone who has done this? How difficult a job would this be?

I installed the Labrolia machine foot clutch and jockey shift on my 2010 tri-glide, he makes a great product! Just recently I made my own tank shifter with the knob at the top of the tank, all you have to do is reach forward and its right there -- love the set up

Good Evening,

I know this is an older thread, but I registered on this board to reply to this topic...

I have three jockey shifters for my '04 Custom that I use, and I generally switch them out once a month. One is a LaBriola kit, the second is an old Hurst shift lever with a classic 4-speed shift ball I found in my junk pile which I can mount directly to the shifter shaft, and the third is a police style tank shifter with linkage that I pulled together using parts from various sources (eBay, vintage catalog, indie shop and my local Ace Hardware store.) I took a 6600 mile "Lap of America" road trip on my bike this summer with a passenger, and had no issues with accidentally knocking the lever or anything.

Currently I am in the process of assembling parts to construct a jockey shifter that will sit on the right side of the bike toward the back of the fuel tank similar to a shifter I once saw on an old Indian dirt bike; this will require that I weld a pass-through tube or a long bushing to the frame by the oil tank to allow a long shifter "transfer shaft" to pass from right to left.

The foot clutch I use is a LaBriola with a vintage hot rod brake pedal pad mounted on it. Keep in mind that the LaBroila clutch pedal requires a forward control; however, there are several Sporty owners on another board who have come up with creative solutions and fabricated foot clutches on a mid-control bike. IMO if you're going to do a jockey shift, do it right with a foot clutch, and not the method used on the Widowmaker shifter linked in the post above.

I know my post count is low, but I will attempt to post some pics which I will hope give you a better idea of what I did...

Photo #1: Hurst shifter and ball mounted to stock shifter shaft; the little "shifter boot" at the base is one of those "pony tail lassos" you see ladies wear that I trimmed to fit. This pic was taken in October.

Photo #2: The police shifter I put together; I fabricated the bracket that mounts the shifter to the front cylinder head. This pic was taken in September.

Photo #3: What is on the bike right now; I took this pic tonight.

Photo #4: A shot of the LaBriola foot clutch with a hot rod brake pedal pad attached.

At any rate, I hope these help!

Attachments

• Lever.jpg
    Lever.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Shifter B 050911.jpg
    Shifter B 050911.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 62
  • LaBriolaLever.jpg
    LaBriolaLever.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Pedal5.jpg
    Pedal5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 56
I know my post count is low, but I will attempt to post some pics which I will hope give you a better idea of what I did...

Photo #1: Hurst shifter and ball mounted to stock shifter shaft; the little "shifter boot" at the base is one of those "pony tail lassos" you see ladies wear that I trimmed to fit. This pic was taken in October.

Photo #2: The police shifter I put together; I fabricated the bracket that mounts the shifter to the front cylinder head. This pic was taken in September.

Photo #3: What is on the bike right now; I took this pic tonight.

Photo #4: A shot of the LaBriola foot clutch with a hot rod brake pedal pad attached.

At any rate, I hope these help!

Hey TRacer,
Welcome to the forum , glad to have ya here. Thanks for the info and pics!

I love the third setup, its the closest to what my Shovelhead had and I wish I still had it..........I don't understand why anyone would want a setup with a hand clutch on the shifter which would require NEVER being able to place both hands on the bars for takeoff.

Thanks for the reply. I went the jockey shift route several years ago as I was faced with getting cortisone shots and possibly surgery due to tennis elbow issues in my left elbow brought about by hand clutch use (at one point it was so bad, I couldn't even hold a plastic shopping bag.) Given those two choices I told my doctor, "Let me work on the cause, not the symptoms..." and set about trying to reduce the clutch effort. A Rekluse auto clutch was simply not in the budget, and I tried a Muller Power Clutch. Then I saw an old jockey shifted Panhead at the local hangout...I knew I'd found the answer, but it was just a matter of executing it.

A nice side effect is that no one asks to ride my bike. I moved the throttle to the left side as a result of hand surgery I had earlier this year on my dominant right hand, so between that, the jockey shift, and a direct push button starter cover which is barely visible behind the V&H exhaust pipe (all of the handlebar switches are gone) my bike tends to stay where I parked it last. :p

Low post count or not your well thought out design and execution shines through. Thank you for posting and your kind contribution to the HDTimeline forum. Hope to see more posts like yours in the future. My grandson being handicapped, I look at these type posts with a lot of interest. One of his favorite gifts was a H-D "styled" mini bike, which he enjoyed for many years...now that he is a teen, cars and trucks are his main fixations, but I know he'll come back around soon...! :D

Back