free website stats program Jim's Cartridge Fork Tool For 02 and up Baggers | Harley Davidson Forums

Jim's Cartridge Fork Tool For 02 and up Baggers

OK, fine and dandy. That is the "right" way to do it. But I just want to change out the oil in the front fork. Right side is like it is supposed to be, and like my Dyna is on both sides. But the left, ...!! Now, what is the "quick and dirty" way to do this side?

TQ

Remove the fork leg ,invert and drain/refill it. No easy way unless you update the left fork to the non cartridge one like on the non fairing bikes.(road kings)

Part # 46495-06 runs about $178 with a discount for the left leg.

I can do the flip 'n flood if that gets the old oil out of the fork leg. Will try that.

On the replacement part, what is the impact of replacing the current setup? Why did HD go with this setup? It seems unnecessarily complicated if a "normal" setup will work just as well.

TQ

I can do the flip 'n flood if that gets the old oil out of the fork leg. Will try that.

On the replacement part, what is the impact of replacing the current setup? Why did HD go with this setup? It seems unnecessarily complicated if a "normal" setup will work just as well.

TQ

I often wonder that myself. I believe they were trying to improve handling but the 06 and newer baggers went back to the conventional forks on both sides without the cartridges in the left side.

OK. I think I will wait until the legs start to leak before replacing them with non-cartridge version.

The original owner of this bike had it lowered by the dealership - front and back. I had to replace the rear air shocks a while ago, but have not been into the fork. With the fork lowered (I am assuming the standard lowering kit from HD), what is the air gap supposed to be? I do not have any paperwork on the Harley kit which I suspect would specify a different measurement.

TQ

what is the air gap supposed to be?

Not sure what you are looking for here, are you referring to the PSI in the shocks? Different year bikes have different pressures, you would be safe with 5-10 lbs.

No, I am talking (writing) about the air gap above the fork oil in the legs. Manual calls for 5 1/2" on the standard setup. Since I don't have the paperwork that came with the lowering kit, I am not sure what the "new" spec is for the air gap on the lowered legs.

TQ

I see what you are saying now. It's the measurement used in the cartridge side to refill. Best bet would be to contact the dealer, I believe the oil amount (measured) as opposed to inches is the same for a lowered fork as a regular one but I wouldn't want to give you bad info.

Back