free website stats program Jiffy Stand Stop | Harley Davidson Forums

Jiffy Stand Stop

glider.

BOT Machine
Some have posted about the bike moving excessively when using the jiffy stand. They will tend to creep a bit when the weight is applied to the stand especially when on irregular surfaces such as an incline.

Another thing to check is for excessive wear on the locking plate that locks the stand in the down position when weight is applied. You can see the worn edge on this pic below.

Kickstandstop.jpg

The pix that Mr. Data included above shows some serious wear on the side of the locking dog. But even new, you will probably have some play between the side of the dog and the bracket the dog fits into when the bike is on the stand. How much will probably vary bike to bike, but on my '03 UC where I have replaced my bracket and dog, it is about 1/16". But as you can see in the pix above, another source of play in the system is the square hole that the stand fits through! This is NOT a press fit. So there is play there, too.

All this adds up to the fact that this design allows the bike to move forward or backward some amount depending on the slope the bike is on. Guys on other threads here have talked about leaving the bike in gear when on the stand, and that might be a solution some people would like to adopt. I think it all depends on circumstance. If I was parking on a fairly steep slope, and could not angle the bike against the slope, I think I might leave the bike in gear only because I have had mine creep backwards down the driveway a time or two!!

TQ

Back