free website stats program It's gonna be a darn cold ride!! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

It's gonna be a darn cold ride!!

I have heard from people who work outside in winter (linemen, construction workers) that panty hose under the clothes helps a lot. Haven't tried it myself, but those who have swear by them for really cold conditions. Might be worth considering if one wanted to ride when it is really cold. If I did use them I wouldn't tell any one! :newsmile100:

This does not work when riding !!!!!!!!!!!
The cold wind blows right up your skirt, and forget about shifting in heels.

:newsmile100:

Mittens! I just thought of mittens instead of gloves. I could stick a hand warmer in there and hopefully that will keep the finger tips toasty!!

Mittens! I just thought of mittens instead of gloves. I could stick a hand warmer in there and hopefully that will keep the finger tips toasty!!

Mittens might work, but be prepared for a delayed response on the controls. Some mittens are just too bulky and if part of them gets caught on something, your entire hand is stuck there, as you cannot move fingers individually. Whatever you do, be careful!!

I have heard from people who work outside in winter (linemen, construction workers) that panty hose under the clothes helps a lot. Haven't tried it myself, but those who have swear by them for really cold conditions. Might be worth considering if one wanted to ride when it is really cold. If I did use them I wouldn't tell any one! :newsmile100:

Used to wear them when playing hockey. And have used them while working on a OshGosh snowplow with a snapped drive shaft in 0 degree weather, with the wind blowing at 15 mph.Laying under that truck was C-O-L-D! Just think about it for a bit. We guys get bundled up in all our cold weather gear to go riding on a cold day, and see women in dresses and just nylons on their legs waiting for a bus or cab. They don't complain. Just sayin... :eam

BRIAN

I have tried the pantyhose under the jeans, I noticed a small improvement. I do think thermals make a difference, esp. if you wear chaps, leather or rain pants. You need something to keep the wind from penetrating, then the pockets in the thermals can trap body heat.

Used to wear them when playing hockey. And have used them while working on a OshGosh snowplow with a snapped drive shaft in 0 degree weather, with the wind blowing at 15 mph.Laying under that truck was C-O-L-D! Just think about it for a bit. We guys get bundled up in all our cold weather gear to go riding on a cold day, and see women in dresses and just nylons on their legs waiting for a bus or cab. They don't complain. Just sayin... :eam

BRIAN
Okay, you can have my pantyhose & I'll keep the Carhartt's....I'm just sayin......:rofl

Lets be carefull here...We dont want to offend aney transgender riders..After all isnt Hdtalking is a equal opportunity fourm?..:bigsmiley12: PANTYS..No thats not my thing but if it makes you feel good..:small3d031:

Where I live if you are going to ride in the early spring or late fall you have to be prepared for below 40 most of the time. For instance right now it is 28, frost on the ground, but one of the first clear days all year! Supposed to heat up to a blazing 50 degrees. I wear jeans with a pair of those skin tight pants that runners use on cold days under the jeans. Not pantyhose, much thicker. I also have a neck gator made of micro fleece that I can pull up to cover my face if I need to. The problem is the hands. I have yet to find a pair of gloves that really do the trick. Especially if its wet out! My favorite for cool weather are a pair of Skidoo spring snowmobiling gloves. But for cutting the real cold wind the best I have found are heavy leather work gloves with the flannel lining found in almost every hardware or feed store.

I'm looking forward to paying off the wife's Jeep and getting an Ultra. It will definately have heated grips and blug ins for the heated vests!

Well rode the scoot in this morning. 21 degrees at the house when I left. Had to make one stop about 1/2 way in to work. There were 3 other bikes, (metrics) at a quick stop gas station so I pulled in to get some feeling back in my fingers. Had a great time with the owners and the other riders.

Headed back out after about 10 minutes, finished the jaunt to work and it wasnt bad at all. I need winter gloves though, 2 pair of leather didnt cut it too well.

Wore thick jeans over my other work pants and the only thing that got cold besides my fingers were my knees, but I can deal with that.

Oh yeah, as I pulled into the gas station to get some warm up, my glasses froze over!! Couldnt see a darn thing!

All in all, a good ride, should be a great ride home!!

The answer to keeping your fingers warm is at your local snowmobile store, snowmobile gloves will keep your hands warm and maintain your dexterity. They should be showing up on the mark down rack about now and while you're there check out a balaclava, they keep the old melon and neck warm and they are pretty cheap too. Add your rain suit and you'll be good to go, I'd pass on the panty hose. Hope your weather is better than up here now, we're getting Thunder Snow and lots of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back