free website stats program Is there anyone that has NOT had problems with their Harley! | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is there anyone that has NOT had problems with their Harley!

Make sure to set your personal PIN code too just in case of a problem like loosing a FOB. You can disarm it manually.

Bought my '03 in Oct. 2002. 27,000 miles and no significant mechnical or electrical issues. Within the first 1000 miles I had a leak in the shift linkage that took more trips to the dealership than I liked. However, they cut me a great deal on a chrome inner primary during their final repair so I thought they treated me right.

Gotta admit I choke on the charges for periodic maintenance. Thats why I'm doing more of that work myself. I do think there is more of a problem in finding "good" dealers than there should be. H.D. high prices should at least be matched by professional performance and treatment from the dealers. :newsmile093:

Bought my '03 in Oct. 2002. 27,000 miles and no significant mechnical or electrical issues. Within the first 1000 miles I had a leak in the shift linkage that took more trips to the dealership than I liked. However, they cut me a great deal on a chrome inner primary during their final repair so I thought they treated me right.

Gotta admit I choke on the charges for periodic maintenance. Thats why I'm doing more of that work myself. I do think there is more of a problem in finding "good" dealers than there should be. H.D. high prices should at least be matched by professional performance and treatment from the dealers. :newsmile093:

Gotta agree there. I had a 1000 mile maintain and got the bike back with a bad squeak every time I shifted. They had the drive belt with !" freeplay instead of 3/8 inch. At the price and that poor service I WILL DO IT MTSELF!!

I know exactly how you feel. If I,d known a two years ago what I know now. I would probably have a Mustang instead of a bike.

Been there, had a Mustang...prefer the Bike ANY BIKE...over a cage; though I still liked my old 93 Ford Ranger...:D No problems with my Harley.

I bought it used. Did blow ignition fuse, but traced it to rework/mods done by previous owner who rough cut drilled holes for handlebar control wire routing at 90 degs cutting/pinching the insulation. Used fine rat tail file to taper the holes and clear tubing insulator as pass-thru to prevent cutting insulation cured problem. :)

Last edited:
The only problem I've ever had with any post AMF HD I've had was due to hard riding. My 91 Ultra blew a outer cam bearing (which I must add if you have this happen, you will hear it and stop straight away). Also stripped a final drive pulley spline at 60000 Klms (out of warranty), the dealer I took it to worked a deal with the factory and all I paid for was a new drive belt which I needed anyway. My 43 WLA just required more TLC than our later bikes but never missed a beat.

I'll never own any other brand. Harley Davidson is THE greatest MC in the world. Had the honour of chatting to Willie G in '98 here in Oz and after talking with him you know where the company's direction comes from.

Was reading over all the post on this and just wanted to let you all know that my wifes 07' Nightster was having the same problems....DEAD...we have replaced "3" batteries as well sense she has owned it (Feb. 07') and just as of two days ago we DEMANDED while still under warrenty to have the dielectric grease done to it and all seemed well and the guy at Harley told us that the RELAY Switch went out on the bike as well. We I rode it home and later that night my wife and I jumped on the bikes to go riding and "NOTHING" it would not start!!! Needless to say I had Harley come out the next day to pick up the bike because I was NOT paying to have it towed again for something that I guess was not fixed... well the guy showed up to tow it and asked for the key and sure enough it would not start... then asked if by chance I had another key with a KEY FOB on that key and I did... LONG story short when I put the OTHER key in the bike with the OTHER KEY FOB....BOOM...the bike started right up... come to find out YES the RELAY SWITCH was BAD and YES it was a GOOD idea to get the dielectric grease done on the fuses/box BUT with all that done IF your FOB is not working proper then guess what!!! YOUR BIKE WON'T START NO MATTER WHAT!!! So when all else fails go take your FOBS into the dealer and have them "REPROGRAMMED" that is what we did today so we now know BOTH Fobs are working depending on whichever keys my wife picks up to go riding with and it is COVERED under the warranty too (the reprogramming of the KEY FOBS)... ALSO "FYI" if you happen to change your battery and you DO NOT keep your HARLEY BATTERY to turn in (meaning you have your battery changed someplace else NOT a HD dealer cause your bike broke down elsewhere) then Harley will CHARGE you for a NEW battery and labor charges to install it and it is NOT covered under your warranty (UNLESS) you can bring in a HD battery to give to them and then they will turn that one in for you and you will not get charged... learned that the hard way too! Hope this helps you out if you are having any problems!!

If the fob wasn't working wouldn't the flashing blinkers be an indication that the bike isn't starting because the security didn't disarm. Did yours not flash? Mine does.

On my forth Harley, I've had one warranty issue, had a connector cover replaced. None have ever been in for a mechanical or electrical problem.
:D

My 02 fatboy has 63,000 miles on her,only "ISSUE" I have had,so far,was in 2004
when the TSSM went out at the Richmond Va HOG Rally.
nothing else but routine stuff maintenance and upkeep

Back