free website stats program Is it me? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is it me?

HarleyHarry

Banned
For fear of sounding stupid I will wisper this question.
Having recieved the polishing kit I ordered via e-bay, I need to remove both wheels to gain proper access to the rims and also because I hate to sit on the cold garage floor.
I thought I'll do the front first as that looked the easier one.
Now I'm an engineer so I have no problem taking the whole bike apart (Please note:I not talking about putting it back together again) but....I've never done any work on my bike yet and I wonder wat the best way is to take both weels from an ultra.
I realized that taking the front out I would not get the tire past the brake sets. I presume the rear will prove to be equally tricky. Do I need to take the brake sets off or are there easier ways to do this.
Surely it's a job you should be able to do on the side of the road (if you have blocks)?
Thanks Guy's and Girls
Harry

Harry

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I assume that you want to polish the rims and do not have a jack or maybe you do? In this case I would just turn the bike upside down and let it rest on the seat and bars like we did when we were kids and the wheels will be right up where you can get to them , this way nothing has to come apart :D

Here's the rear wheel removal...
Removing Rear Wheel - Harley Davidson Community

The front is easy after removing the brake calipers, Just suspend them with something and don't let them hang on the hoses.

Front Axle Installation Tip - Harley Davidson Community

And have the manual handy too.

Hope this helps you out! :lolrolling

Ok that confirms my thought about the brakes.
I do have a jack to lift the whole bike but I just hate sitting on the floor as the jack doesn't go higher than 50 cm but I also don't want to damage anything as I'm using a drill to polish.
I couldn't find anything on the wheels in my manual but perhaps I need to look again.
Thanks Glider

I hope he's kidding.:yeahright
I know he isn't but, I won't do that. The last time I did I got scuff marks all over the sissybar and throttle rubber.
:bigsmiley17:
By the way Glider I have been told in the forum that to get the rims back to perfect I need a good polish and elbow grease. Now in your infinite wisdom can you tell me where to get the grease? I found the polish allright.

I know he isn't but, I won't do that. The last time I did I got scuff marks all over the sissybar and throttle rubber.
:bigsmiley17:
By the way Glider I have been told in the forum that to get the rims back to perfect I need a good polish and elbow grease. Now in your infinite wisdom can you tell me where to get the grease? I found the polish allright.

Harry
You will probably find the elbow grease here.

Maintenance : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

If you have problems finding it, let me know, I have a case of it here and can send you a tube of it.:s

no its definitely you
hey your an engineer when you get it all apart just remeber you put it back together in the reverse of taking it apart.
boy it took a stupid mechanic to figure that out.

Back