free website stats program Is GL-5 bad for our transmission | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Is GL-5 bad for our transmission

Hi New to the forum, Thanks for all the info ! I’m ready to do my first change on my 07 softail and still wondering if we have yellow metal in the transmission?

the MOCO has told its service reps to stop using syn3 and formula plus in the tranny and go back to a gear lube

Really? Cause I haven't received anything from MOCO to update my owners book..and have seen no TECH Bulletin either..

I run Amsoil 75-110W (SVT) which is GL-5 in the tranny..shifts better and no whine either..which is caused by the helical cut gears...

I was reading this topic and went to Amsoils own site where it explains the different gear set types: ie - hypoid, helical etc and found the following statement:

" Most manual transmissions have helical gears and do not require GL-5 performance ". To my knowledge the new 6 speeds have helical gear sets. Wrong or right?

I do know from previous experience if a tranny has syncros in it and you put a GL5 spec verses a GL4 spec oil, it will get very hard to shift with the GL5 gear oil and it will destroy the syncros.

Being somewhat a logical person - If our HD 6 speeds don't have any yellow metal or syncros then you can use a sync GL5 spec, most likely a 75-90 as that is the same viscosity as a 20-50 sync mc oil ( which seems to be the factory viscosity recommendation ) without incurring any real problems. That most likely explains why you can use either the GL5 gear oil or the 20-50 sync mc oil without any wear issues. ( Drain plugs of bikes using either report little or no fuzz on magnets ) The original question about the yellow metals hasn't been answered. Somebody who's torn down one of these tranny's should have the answer.

===============================================

I was reading this topic and went to Amsoils own site where it explains the different gear set types: ie - hypoid, helical etc and found the following statement:

" Most manual transmissions have helical gears and do not require GL-5 performance ". To my knowledge the new 6 speeds have helical gear sets. Wrong or right?

I do know from previous experience if a tranny has syncros in it and you put a GL5 spec verses a GL4 spec oil, it will get very hard to shift with the GL5 gear oil and it will destroy the syncros.

Being somewhat a logical person - If our HD 6 speeds don't have any yellow metal or syncros then you can use a sync GL5 spec, most likely a 75-90 as that is the same viscosity as a 20-50 sync mc oil ( which seems to be the factory viscosity recommendation ) without incurring any real problems. That most likely explains why you can use either the GL5 gear oil or the 20-50 sync mc oil without any wear issues. ( Drain plugs of bikes using either report little or no fuzz on magnets ) The original question about the yellow metals hasn't been answered. Somebody who's torn down one of these tranny's should have the answer.

I answered my own question when I looked in the service manual for the 6 speed in the softrails. The tranny contains both straight cut & helical. Looks like 2 straight cut gear sets & 4 helical gear sets. I couldn't find anything that looked like in would be made of yellow metal. I did see that there are some fairly small bearings that are located on the shafts that a thick oil would have trouble lubricating.

So it looks like you can use either type of oil, whatever suits your fancy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked for a powertain manufacture and on some clutch disk copper and brass coating is used in the process. I was told to use it in the tranny and not the primary. I have a 07 softail six speed and Im looking for a good primary oil for it

Back