free website stats program Is fuel tank problem repairable? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is fuel tank problem repairable?

sopana

hi,

I have a bike, 1997 1200C with stock fuel tank. Recently discovered corroded and disintegrated rubber vent tube at the rear of the stock tank. When I went to replace it the metal tube was rusted and closed. So attempting to open the airway with a paper clip, I believe I ruptured the tube because fuel continued to run out of the vent tube until the tank emptied. Is this repairable damage? Is it simply time for a new tank? Not looking forward to the cost. If its time for a new tank, cans anyone recommend a large direct replacement with installation requiring no modifications?

Sopana

Sopana,

You have enough money then why you waiting for, look on ebay for a tank up to a 2003 will bolt right on the place, thats it, no more modifications needed...

Johalber

All of the stuff you just described is easy to replace sotware. Why get a new tank when all you really need to do is spend a few bucks on some software and maybe a new petcock?

I think if you have the know how that you should go ahead and replace just the parts that need to be. If you don't then I would shop around for a cheap full replacement and do it that way.

hi,

I have a bike, 1997 1200C with stock fuel tank. Recently discovered corroded and disintegrated rubber vent tube at the rear of the stock tank. When I went to replace it the metal tube was rusted and closed. So attempting to open the airway with a paper clip, I believe I ruptured the tube because fuel continued to run out of the vent tube until the tank emptied. Is this repairable damage? Is it simply time for a new tank? Not looking forward to the cost. If its time for a new tank, cans anyone recommend a large direct replacement with installation requiring no modifications?

Sopana

chances are, that if you have that must rust present, that the tank is rotted too.
If you have the dough, and like the bike, and plan on keeping it, dont bother fixing your tank.
Look on ebay, if you shop hard, you can find a tank reasonably priced.
Harley gets 5-750 dollars.
I will sell you a brand new, and freshly painted aftermarket tank for 250.00 plus shipping.
It is painted Candy Apple Red.
I bought it for myself, but then opted to go with the stock harley colors.

email at Laptop@floridaflatbed.com if interested.

Back