free website stats program Irony of Ironies. | Harley Davidson Forums

Irony of Ironies.

horizonchaser

Contributor
While reading my paper just a few minutes ago I came across this article. I thought that I would share it with all of you. The papers and politicians will get a lot of mileage out of this very tragic event.
NY motorcyclist dies protesting helmet laws
ONONDAGA, N.Y. — Police say a motorcyclist who was participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York has died after he went over the handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in Onondaga, a town in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard newspaper of Syracuse that 55-year-old Parish resident Philip A. Contos was driving a 1983 Harley-Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control. They say Contos flipped over the handlebars and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos likely would have survived if he’d been wearing a helmet.

I guess New Yorkers will be wearing helmets for a while longer now.

Bodeen

Maybe because I ride, these articles really disturbing. Bodeen your are right this incident does not help their cause.

Helmet law(s) aside - tragic story/ending of a fellow rider. RIP & prayers to his family/friends...

"Troopers say Contos likely would have survived if he’d been wearing a helmet."

But would he have been paralyzed if he had been wearing a helmet? Or would he have been killed anyway? They love to make statements , but never consider the alternate outcome of their "what if".

that article also said he was a rider with 30 years experience and was riding a different bike than he normally rode, mechanical difficulty was a probable contributor, if that makes a difference.

"Troopers say Contos likely would have survived if he’d been wearing a helmet." Why did they make a statement like this? They don't know anymore then anyone else does.

"Troopers say Contos likely would have survived if he’d been wearing a helmet." Why did they make a statement like this? They don't know anymore then anyone else does.

Agree with you and Mainah. They'll take the info that suits them and put their little spin on it to advance their agenda. Just a terrible tragedy that shouldn't be exploited by anyone for any reason. Prayers to his family & love ones.

You can make any argument you want, but after working in the ER for more than a few years I can tell you that helmets save lives.
I can also tell you that I know where my brains are. That is why I try to protect them as best I can when I ride.
You can be as macho as you want. I would rather be a doink and alive than be a macho manly stud and dead.

May he rest in peace. Sad to hear.:(

To each their own.
Latest studies show: living will kill you.

I would rather live well and happy than simply live long. No one gets out of here alive. Bonking my melon on my MC is a much better exit in my opinion than some of the others I have witnessed (Pancreatic cancer, alzheimers, kidney failure). Try to remember each day could be your last and live well while you can.

Back