free website stats program Intermittent rough idle. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent rough idle.

Prior to it acting up the plugs were fine. ( light brown/ dark tan color). This is a new issue. Before I took a 2 thousand mile trip (round trip) to South Carolina, I replaced the head gaskets and intake gaskets. I replaced them about 3500 miles ago. I can't imagine the intake gaskets going that quickly. I'm going to try the carb seal first. Where do you get silicone grease? Auto parts store, or is that a Harley thing? My tank is slightly rusty, but I have two fuel filters. Every time I have dropped the bowl on the carb it has always been clean. I don't know, I'm going to go for the "cheap" quick fix first. ( carb seal). Thanx again.
WAP.gif

You can find the silicone at any good auto parts store. I'd double check the work you did prior to your trip. It sounds like the issue came to light after the work was done. JMHO.

You can find the silicone at any good auto parts store. I'd double check the work you did prior to your trip. It sounds like the issue came to light after the work was done. JMHO.
You might be right( I hope you are not. No offense ). If you are, I might be starting my winter project in the fall. I'm not going to ride it running lean. We all know over time bad things will happen. Especially running lean. I keep my fingers crossed that it's an easy fix, but you know that goes. Thanx again.
WAP.gif

You might be right( I hope you are not. No offense ). If you are, I might be starting my winter project in the fall. I'm not going to ride it running lean. We all know over time bad things will happen. Especially running lean. I keep my fingers crossed that it's an easy fix, but you know that goes. Thanx again.
WAP.gif

Harley Davidson Forums
Check here it is their in house brand good product

WAP.gif

No disrespect intended on your wrenching skills bus driver. If I read your post correctly the issue started after you made repairs and that's why I suggested you double check the work (believe me,it's happened to us all). If it turns out to be a air leak due to a bad gasket or just not making a tight seal that's a easy fix. Good luck and let us know what you find.:s

Actually the repairs were make about a year an a half ago. 3500 miles ago. This is a recent development. I'd say about 150 miles ago. But I'm anal so it's driving me crazy. I really appreciate all of the advice I've been getting. I am going to try that carb seal first. Like you said it's an easy fix. Don't worry, no offense taken. Thanx again.
WAP.gif

You did not say if you have played with the idle mixture screw? If it has not been adjusted ever you will find a plug over it you can drill a hole in it and use a screw and a pliars to wiggle it off
mixture-screw-plug.jpg

Hey good news guys. I replaced the carb seal and it worked. Running fine. Thanx Jack on your heads up with the Napa lub, I was able to locate a store close to me. I drilled out my mixture plug years ago, but that is a wonderful tip for those who haven't done it yet. Do it. This is how I look at life "some times you get the elevator, and some times you get the shaft". Today I got the elevator. Thanx guys.
WAP.gif

Hey good news guys. I replaced the carb seal and it worked. Running fine. Thanx Jack on your heads up with the Napa lub, I was able to locate a store close to me. I drilled out my mixture plug years ago, but that is a wonderful tip for those who haven't done it yet. Do it. This is how I look at life "some times you get the elevator, and some times you get the shaft". Today I got the elevator. Thanx guys.
WAP.gif

Good deal and thanks for the update. Glad you're back in the saddle with a smooth running scoot. :D

Alrighty then, good to hear you are up and running again. Keep that silglide in your bag, it is great for any rubber and for electrical connections:s

Back