free website stats program Intermittent NO Shift to 1st from Neutral | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent NO Shift to 1st from Neutral

My 1989 FLH did the same thing when I switched to syn tranny grease. I think you get so used to shifting lightly you don't shift it hard enough to get it all the way into 1st gear. I've found myself doing the samething in 1st and between 3rd and 4th, the syn grease makes it shift so nice you don't aply enough pressure to go all the way into gear. A buddy of mine switched to syn as well and got the between gears miss as well on his 06 FLHX but he said it shifts smoother than before. I know I can find neutral a lot easier than before. Just try shifting it a little harder into 1st and I think it will be OK. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

I tried the experiment of maintaining light pressure on the shifter, while letting out the clutch. This does work. The tranny slips right into 1st, and I can feel the shifter moving a bit more down as the tranny goes into 1st.
Enjoy,
Rich P[/QUOTE]

From the way you described the GOING INTO LOW with the pressure KEPT on the shifter like i suggested and LETTING CLUTCH out, and YOU saying ..... YOU can feel it GO FURTHER into gear, sounds like to me you have EITHER a TOO LOOSE adjusted clutch cable or the clutch adjustment ON the clutch NEEDS adjusting (might be TOO tight)...

SOME THING HOLDS the gear FROM traveling the FULL distance...

RESISTANCE over come BY holding the shifter FIRM and letting out on the clutch...... THEN it PULLS ITS SELF into gear...

If you have fixed this problem as it is an older Thread PLEASE let (me) US KNOW...

IF NOT, TRY THIS:

.... ADJUST the clutch cable at HANDLE BAR to a "0" clearance...... jUST to see if THAT makes a difference when going to LOW with the handle PULLED FULLY....
LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

signed....BUBBIE

As most of the other posters have you covered, just wanted to reiterate that

1) you have the clutch freeplay adjusted to minimum (when you turn bar lock to lock, one positon will be tighter, which is where you adjust the freeplay to near zero.

2) are you using heel and toe shifter...if so the floorboards pedals have to be adjusted to fit your boot size and shifting style correctly without a lot of inconsistant reaching, otherwise 1/2 neutral shifting is VERY possible.

3) lubricant selection DOES make a difference, as well as temperature and when the malfunctions frequently happen. Cold, hot, movement speed prior to shifting, and whether in drive or coast mode when the mis-shift happens.

Keep us informed as to your progress...

Back