free website stats program Intermittent hard starting when warm to hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent hard starting when warm to hot

I have the same problem as Ironmark had. Took to the dealer and they "said they checked the teeth on starter and clutch" and everthing looked ok to them. I will try your fix with the new compernsator.

Battery is 28 months old so I replaced it. Nope, didn't fix it. Started right up after installing the battery, rode it a while to get it hot. Then back to the same ole, issue of thrashing, spitting, and trying to run backwards.

Last edited:
I had the same issues that you have & after I put in the upgraded compensator the issues are gone . I did the 103" stage 2 with the 155 cams & stock heads & the HD dealer did not put in compression releases , the dealer that did the starter replacement said that I should have had the compression releases put in , but the problem IMO was a weak compensator not the compression .

Well folks, I continued to tell my dealer that it was a compensator problem. They just laughed but couldn't come up with a solution, so they called the mother company. HD told them "we're not going to tell you that's not the problem". The dealer agreed to replace the compensator, so I opted to pay the difference for the Screamin' Eagle Compensator P/N 40274-08. Guess what, the problem is resolved. When the starter is hit, it starts. No more thrashing and spitting. Whew, never thought I'd get it fixed.

Glad you got the stater problem taken care of !! HD will not admit that the starting problem is because of a weak compensator because they would have to replace every compensator 07 & up and that would add up to some $$$$$ so they just call it a upgrade so you have to pay to get your bike to start like it should , What A Shame it is for the MOCO to pass it on to the customer IMO .

"On cold starts, the engine usually fires right up, but after reaching operating temperatures or when on the hot side, I occasionally have a hard time getting the bike to start."

May want to also check for a bad coil. Over the years, many machines I have seen a bad coil(s) do this.
As they heat up some of the windings either open or short causing really weak spark when hot.

The dealer asked me not to 'advertise' it. Guess HD really doesn't want the cat our of the bag. So easycruzer, if you're having the same problem, get your dealer to investigate.
When the dealer put my bike back together they only put 32 ozs of oil in the primary (even though I had given them 2 qts). When you do just an oil change using the drain plug, the 07 Touring Model book, on page 6.1, calls for 38 ozs to be added. If the primary chaincase is removed for service then 45 ozs is required. I had to add 13ozs to get the oil up to the proper lever. When I pointed this out to the shop manager, he called me a liar because he didn't see it, and then said they always only put in 32 ozs. Guess they don't read their own manuals.

The dealer asked me not to 'advertise' it. Guess HD really doesn't want the cat our of the bag. So easycruzer, if you're having the same problem, get your dealer to investigate.
When the dealer put my bike back together they only put 32 ozs of oil in the primary (even though I had given them 2 qts). When you do just an oil change using the drain plug, the 07 Touring Model book, on page 6.1, calls for 38 ozs to be added. If the primary chaincase is removed for service then 45 ozs is required. I had to add 13ozs to get the oil up to the proper lever. When I pointed this out to the shop manager, he called me a liar because he didn't see it, and then said they always only put in 32 ozs. Guess they don't read their own manuals.
Just a little point, when you have a Power Commander on your bike it is no longer required to wait for the computer to go through it's checks to start the bike, the light out and speedo tic, in fact you should turn the knob on and hit the starter button immediatly you'll find the bike will start right up as if normal and you don't have the Power Commander. Try it..........it's true.

Back