free website stats program intake manifold gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

intake manifold gasket

weblefty

Does anybody have any good tips for properly seating the gaskets on the intake manifold? I changed mine out and when I got it put back together again, lo and behold, still sucking air and popping on decel. I'm thinking of using some rtv to help it out. Anybody have some advice/tricks for this problem. 2000 FXDX. Thanks in advance.

Like Steve stated, vasoline, spray silicone or dish soap will help make the seals slippery and allow them to seat in.

I have had to use Hylomar on occasion for real problem children. It's usually due to previous top end work. When the barrels were re-installed, the wrench didn't take the time to make sure the angle was dead on and torqued them down slightly turned. I put the intake manifold on finger tight when reinstalling cylinders to prevent that. If it's after the fact, a little material can be sanded of the face of the manifold's two intake runners, but that's usually a last resort.

HD sells tool #40054-01 to help with alignment as well although I've never had to use one. Link is below.........

Induction Alignment Bracket Kit | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA

If you just changed the manifold seals, check your intake vac. line for cracks/splitting. I think you have a vac. operated petcock?
Also possible that one of your exhaust head pipe gaskets is leaking.

Do not use any thing with petroleum base, try some Napa Silglide and the Induction Alignment tool:s

Back