free website stats program installing the S&S gear drive cams | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

installing the S&S gear drive cams

How did it sound. I have been told that the after this cam install the bike does sound better. Can't wait to hear how it performs. I am looking at the 510's myself. Wish I had a guy to look over my shoulder, have the tools needed, and let me do the work.

How did it sound. I have been told that the after this cam install the bike does sound better. Can't wait to hear how it performs. I am looking at the 510's myself. Wish I had a guy to look over my shoulder, have the tools needed, and let me do the work.

Nightowl,

You Can and DO have Many Looking over your shoulder if you want....

The members here are many that will help and answer ALMOST instantly IF you need support......:D

Signed....BUBBIE :bigsmiley28:

Bubbie,

That is why this is such a great site. I am new but have been lurking for a long time. Almost all of my questions have been answered by reading posts and the self help sections. No question there is almost instant help available here. But in my case it is a matter of access to the tools needed, the time, and my personal philosophy of "knowing what you know" and more importantly "knowing what you don't know". TC 88 cams installation is something I am not ready to tackle myself at this point.

But I really do thank you for the post.

She sounds great inside the shop, raining now and cold tomorrow, but going to bring her home, the long way.

Have you had a chance to ride her yet? If so could you feel the difference? Getting ready to start the 510 install on mine in the next few weeks.

Have you had a chance to ride her yet? If so could you feel the difference? Getting ready to start the 510 install on mine in the next few weeks.

only riddin was from the shop to my house, about 15 mi. seems to have a lot more low end torque. funny thing, she don't even sound like the same bike. not bad or anything like that, just different. wife said it didn't sound like my scoot when I came home. She thought I had ridden one of Rick's bikes home. very strange. but good strange.

Thanks. That is what I have been told about the sound. Was it deeper, louder??? Also good news on the low end torque.

Thanks. That is what I have been told about the sound. Was it deeper, louder??? Also good news on the low end torque.

When-ever you change the HEART of your Harley(Cams) you change the Sound and Feel of the bike...

I notice a Stronger Beat at start-up and a very pronounced sound change at Idle and when getting on with the wrist action... Ever so slight on the sound BUT everybody notices it.. Asking "what in there?"

I went with SE 255's and kept my chain drives as I have a 09 FLHR...

If you can imagine the difference of the Opening and Closing the Heart Valves on your body,,,,, the same thing on the bike... More duration and lift and filling the piston chamber with More of the good stuff....

Some cams will do More and some do Less in performance and sound...... Getting the RIGHT combination is needed when planning....

My SE255's DO a good job in my full stage one, 96" and will do Even Better when I put some wear miles on the 96" and THEN do the PLANNED-Out 103" pistons later.. (a proven great build) :bigsmiley16:

signed....BUBBIE

Back